PDA

View Full Version : stencil leaves behind wierd polys

mabaza
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I must be doing stenciling wrong (either solid or template drill) because I always end up with wierd extra polygons that I must manually delete. The polys in green are the mystery polygons I have to delete. The polys in orange are the only ones I would expect to see after the stencil.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? :help:

colkai
03-24-2006, 03:01 AM
I would have expected Stencilling to leave those polygons, (boolean would maybe).
However, a stencil followed by a smoothshift / Vertibevel action would.
I've come a across this myself a lot lately.
It boils down to, during the stencil, a new point is created very close to an existing point, so you end up with geometry you don't realise is there until such time as to do a smoothshift. I'd not be surprised to find that those green polys also appear double sided, but are in fact, two separate polys.

Following the stnecil, I'd select the points around where you've stencilled and make sure there aren't more than you expect, in the example you've shown, say 20. Judging on the result you have, I'd wager you would have found close to 30 selected.

If not that, then maybe it would be worth selecting only the geometry you want to stencil onto before applying the effect. BTW - were you using 2D stencil or solid stencil? and in which mode?

mabaza
03-24-2006, 07:58 AM
colkai,

I reached the same conclusion as you. There are unwelded points being created as a result of the stencil that are very close together, but not close enough for an automatic merge points to catch them. So when you extrude or smooth shift you get those extra polys. The only fix I could think of was to select the new geometry after the stencil and merge points using a small number for the distance so only the extra vertices are merged and not anything else.

I tried selecting the geometry I want to manipulate before doing the stencil but got the same extra points. This problem happens whenever I use either Template Drill or Solid Drill in stencil mode.

I can live with the merge points solution as long as there's no other way around it. Thanks for your help colkai!!

colkai
03-24-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm afraid there isn't a way around it, unless you tweak the drilling geometry so it doesn't appear to conflict.
An easier way to merge the points is, try to figure out the spatial distances of normal points and then apply a fixed point merge some 10% of that.
So lets say, by altering your grid size, you figure each of you squares is around 30mm across, now you figure the thin band at the bottom is only 6mm across, set a 'fixed' merge points at say 0.8mm and you'll probably catch your "errant" points. :)

George_H
03-24-2006, 08:55 AM
I've had this problem since LW5 days and I always check that the geometry to be used for stencilling or boolean and the polygons to be operated on do not have unwelded points before doing the operation. Usually works for me anyway
:)