PDA

View Full Version : Installing 32 bit LW under 64 bit XP PRO

cyphyr
03-23-2006, 08:00 AM
My system recently crashed, dont know why but I had to get it completely rebuilt. I am now the proud owner of a full WinXP Pro x64 bit but I have run in to a problem reinstalling LW 8 (and obviously the vairous upgrades).

When I go to register LW I'm told "Lightwave dongle not found". The dongle I have is the one I had from my origonal 6.5 Lightwave and is paralell and so is obviously 32bit (as is the Lightwave I am re installing).

Can I download a 64 bit version and if so where from?

Thanks in advance

Richard Fraser

dgon64
03-23-2006, 01:52 PM
I think LW64 will only work with a USB dongle. I have an old parallel dongle myself running LW32 under XP Pro but use a USB dongle on another machine that runs LW 64 under XP64. You also need to install the 64-bit Sentinel drivers. The link is found elsewhere on this forum. So you will probably need to exchange your parallel dongle for a USB version but I'd contact Newtek support for a definite answer if you really want to run LW under XP64.

EmperorPete
03-23-2006, 07:41 PM
What I did:
-Install the 64 bit USB dongle drivers
-Install Lightwave
Works like a charm. I have LW32 & LW64 both working fine.

Silkrooster
03-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Thats good to know, as I am debating which way to go when I upgrade
Silk

Dexter2999
03-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I would like to build a 64 bit machine myself. Not that I have anything other than LW, but if I wanted to get Sasquatch, FPrime, or ZBrush would these things run on that box?

Silkrooster
03-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I think thats my biggest fear with going to 64 bit, is how much software would I end up updating assuming there even is an update.
Silk

RedBull
03-24-2006, 12:37 AM
When I go to register LW I'm told "Lightwave dongle not found". The dongle I have is the one I had from my origonal 6.5 Lightwave and is paralell and so is obviously 32bit (as is the Lightwave I am re installing).

Can I download a 64 bit version and if so where from?

Thanks in advance

Richard Fraser

No, there is no point to having Windows 64, for yourself..
There is no Parralell dongle driver, and there may not be one for XP64.
I believe NT are upgrading them at no charge if you upgrade to LW9.

Only USB dongles will work......

Lightwave32 itself will work without problems in Windows XP64.....
But the Parrallel dongle will not be seen by XP64, and thus
making it unusable for parrallel people.... Stick to WindowsXP32...

Luv2Anim8
03-28-2006, 09:47 AM
not sure if this helps... but 64bit is a relative nightmare...I have a brand spanking new BOXX machine.. (and may I say it kicks ***) but LW is unstable at best, and your stuck to native plugs. Not good for anyone in a production environment.

I stripped the 64bit OS off and went back to 32bit.. all things are cool now, but there is a huge performance hit.

soooo SALUTE Newtek for being the first out of the gate... but I would hold until everyone catches up...2007-ish

peace

mattclary
03-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I just got my ne USB dongle today for the move to 64bit in a few weeks. I'm thinking I will load both LW32 and LW64 on the machine.

Sting
03-28-2006, 11:56 AM
You won't be able to install LWCAD. The installation will prompt you for the location of some files that have slightly different names when you install LW32 onto WinXP64. Renaming the files won't help. I was fortunate to have a backup copy of the files from my LW32 installed on WinXP32 and copied them into the same directory and then I could install LWCAD.

Silkrooster
03-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Wow, thanks for the info guys. I have been thinking, since the life span of a computer is about 5 years. Perhaps I should go with 32 bit maybe a dual core if I can afford it. Then 5 years down the road things should be settling at the 64 bit front. I would hate to go with 64 bit and find out a peice of my software won't run and they don't have a 64 bit version yet. That would be my luck. Besides I can put off getting Windows, as I really would like Vista when ever they deside to make it public. I really thought Vista would be 64 bit only. But I don't see much of a movement yet. So I really have to tip my hat to Newtek for being one of the first out of the gate. :thumbsup:@ :newtek:
Silk

dgon64
03-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Sorry to see you had problems Sting but I had no problem at all installing LWCAD into LW32 running under XP64. Works just as good as it does with LW32 under W2000. Looking forward to LWCAD 2.0 and its compatibility with LW64. Finally more 3rd party plugs for LW64-life is good!

mattclary
03-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Silkrooster, you can still get a 64bit CPU, you don't have to run XP64 on it.

Check out this bad boy....

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=361134&postcount=21