PDA

View Full Version : CPUs and LW

stefanj
03-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi,

We're in the process of investing in new workstations, and are tempted to go for two dual core Xeons for each station. But I have to make sure our apps function with this kind of CPU rig. Can anyone here give me an example of how LW9, Fprime, and other apps (Maya, PhotoShop) potentially utilize such a CPU rig?

I'm also uncertain if two dual core 2.8ghz means:
2.8 x 2 + 2.8 x 2
...OR...
1.4 x 2 + 1.4 x 2?

-stefanj

RudySchneider
03-23-2006, 11:56 AM
The first plus sign, and everything after it should go. Dual-core 2.8gHz means two processors, each running at 2.8gHz. Though, don't count on getting twice the performance...

stefanj
03-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Though, don't count on getting twice the performance...

I don't. I just wanted to know if two dual cores in one work station was worth the $$$ when it comes to LW9 and plugins. And I still don't have a clear idea about how exactely how I would benefit from it, so I'm hasitant to put in the order.

-stefanj

Captain Obvious
03-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Dual-cores should provide almost exactly double the performance in things like 3D rendering. Though I must say I'd recomend Opterons over Xeons.

habaņero
03-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Fprime, infinimap, even old stuff like Ogo Hikari all benefit well from Dual Cores. Particularly Fprime got large speed increase with the latest upgrade, and will take full advantage. Certain stuff won't benefit, I think maybe Sas (?), but running several applications at the same time always will. Photoshop should also benefit well. Dual Dual cores, I'd say it is a sensible investment though not with the most expensive processor models.

The benefit of opteron over Xeon is more performance per buck (1.8 mhz amd generally beats 2.8 ghz intel), better dual core implementation eg you go closer to 2* the performance due to better queue arrangement or whatnot, and much lower tempereature and power draw, meaning possibly nearly quiet machines. On the other hand, LW is currently optimized for intel processors and there are some gains from that, though I think the opteron still would come out on top for the same money. Also, that advantage could disappear in a whiff. Intel cut the prices on Xeons recently, evening out a little what was a very uneven field.