PDA

View Full Version : LW and the new Physics stuff from Nvidia

Speedmonk42
03-22-2006, 07:33 PM
I am curious, not too sure how these things work... but will the new Nvidia SLI Physics and/or the Physics Chip from Aegis be of any use to any aspects of LW rendering?

I seem to recall some talk about gaining access to the crunching power of the GPU, this would seem to provide some access.....or perhaps a framework for one????

Wickster
03-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Rendering...I wouldn't think so unless Lightwave starts supporting NVidia's Gelato Rendering engine (or vice versa). Lightwave would probably benefit from Aeigis PhysX engine and SLI Physics with faster dynamics calculations like HardFX and SoftFX dynamics.

Mylenium
03-23-2006, 03:10 AM
Both things have very little to do with the actual rendering, more the physics simulation before the rendering.

...but will the new Nvidia SLI Physics be of any use to any aspects of LW rendering?

I seem to recall some talk about gaining access to the crunching power of the GPU, this would seem to provide some access.....or perhaps a framework for one????

Unlikely. It's a mere game engine type thing where all calculations are done inside the graphics card. If you read up a bit, it seems they have to jump quite some hoops to make their DEBRIS engine even react to normal game level geometry e.g. for floor collisions because the physics are invisible to the normal CPU calculations. The repercussions would be even greater for "normal" geometry as we create it in LW. On top of that you have also to keep in mind that the hardware requirements are rather heavy (vertex shader version 3 and up!) and even and especially in a game environment you still need the graphics adaptor to do its normal thing which is calculating realtime shadows, reflections and all the other fancy stuff used in modern games. Weigh that agianst each other and your potential one million DEBRIS particles will condense down too much smaller numbers in reality.

...the Physics Chip from Aegis...

That would open up much more possibilities. Even if they licensed only the software based algorithms, LW's Dynamics would become 10000 better and more usable overnight.

Mylenium

DiedonD
03-23-2006, 04:40 AM
Both things have very little to do with the actual rendering, more the physics simulation before the rendering.

That would open up much more possibilities. Even if they licensed only the software based algorithms, LW's Dynamics would become 10000 better and more usable overnight.

Mylenium

So you say that the best Graphic card that can work for LW is that Physics chip from Aegis?
I dont know much graphic cards, all I know is that its either NVIDIA or RADEON, and you should get the one with the highest number. But I painfully realized that thats not the case, and now that Im selling my computer, could you tell me what would work best for LW, like what Graphic cards, how much of Memory space, which motherboard and how much RAM Memory?

The aim of course being to do everything in LW without it being closed every know and then, and definetely faster renders. I would really appreciate if you could tell me where to get them. Thanks in advance.

Speedmonk42
03-23-2006, 07:14 AM
So you say that the best Graphic card that can work for LW is that Physics chip from Aegis?
I dont know much graphic cards, all I know is that its either NVIDIA or RADEON, and you should get the one with the highest number. But I painfully realized that thats not the case, and now that Im selling my computer, could you tell me what would work best for LW, like what Graphic cards, how much of Memory space, which motherboard and how much RAM Memory?

The aim of course being to do everything in LW without it being closed every know and then, and definetely faster renders. I would really appreciate if you could tell me where to get them. Thanks in advance.
----------

Whoa.... no that is not what we are saying....don't buy this, even if you can. At least not for LW. I was asking if the number crunching power of these new features could assist LW in some way by providing some extra muscle, or even in some kind of physics simulations.

Are you trying to say you bought a computer that 'doesn't' work with LW and you want to find out what to buy?

I think it would be very hard to find a computer that LW did not run on. Perhaps you should mention what your problem was?