PDA

View Full Version : Images for the web...

RonB
03-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Creating images for viewing on both PC's and Mac's has always been a problem...I'm wondering if anyone has a new solution. A lot of my prospective clients are ad agencies and design groups that are Mac based while an egual amount of corporate prospects are PC based. Creating a portfolio site for viewing by both is the problem.

Was wondering if anyone has info on using PNG's as oposed to JPEG's for the images. I was told PNG's can carry the gamma correction info with them, but have not tried using them yet. Would really like to hear what others are doing. Thanks, Ron

Silkrooster
03-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I haven't had much time playing with png's but I have heard that it can result in smaller file sizes or atleast compared to gif's. Anyways, one thing to be concerned with is the alpha channel that png's have. Internet Explorer ver.6 does not support the alpha channel. But I heard that is taken care of in ver. 7.
But as far as showing jpg's, png's or gif's you shouldn't have any trouble with PC's or MAC's viewing them. Especially if you don't use some of the extra features that they have.
Silk

kruemel_1
03-23-2006, 02:03 AM
JPG's are compressed by reducing the colorinformation, PNG's are compressed with a ZIP algorithm. So JPG's loose information's, PNG's don't.
PNG's get good compression ratios with few colors. You can't set a qualityrate like you do with JPG's. The compression depends on how much colors you allow in the final image.
And PNG's can contain a alphamask. As silkrooster mentiont this alphamask is not properly interpreted from some browsers.
Both image formats are platformindependent, so both Systems should have no problems viewing them.

Brian Arndt
03-23-2006, 08:33 AM
PNGs work great on the web but have one problem, transparency. Transparency works great in PNGs on netscape based browsers (Firefox,Netscape, and im pretty sure Safari too) but doesnt work yet in IE (although supposedly the next version is going to support them)

PNGs will probably be the future but right now have some issues..

RonB
03-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I decided to just go ahead and make two sites for viewing, one for each platform, viewer's choice.
Thanks again, Ron