PDA

View Full Version : I must be nuts...

PeteF
03-22-2006, 10:04 AM
My day job employer handed me down some bad news, no money for upgrades this year. Yet, I have this flyer for $395 with Vue5 and LWCad. Soooooo, I'm thinking about pulling out the plastic and justing upgrading to v9 myself. It's one thing to deal with budgets (and who knows the forces that dictate them, and the fact that the decision makers don't have to deal with the consequences), but this offer seems too good to pass up!

So, without anyone breaking disclosure. Is LW9 production worthy yet? Am I nuts to fork over my dough for this?

GregMalick
03-22-2006, 10:31 AM
bryphi77 has a good point.

BTW Kurv has a special price of $356 http://www.kurvstudios.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=03-01

There used to be a $316 SpinQuad Special but I'm not sure that's around anymore.
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9932&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Kurv+upgrade

Good Luck. :D

PeteF
03-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Good question. In which case thats $795, or $400 more... now even more nuts... However, I am the registered owner (and received the software as a condition for doing work outside my normal duties, when I was in engineering, as payment. When I transfered to the ad dept, they purchased VTNT which had a seat of LW included). Regardless, it's still seems like a bargain.

-EsHrA-
03-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Kurv does not ship to Europe,

though you can select European countries in the dropdown box when ordering...

i did... and waited... and got disappointed...

ahwell..

mlon

pauland
03-22-2006, 11:51 AM
You have to be crazy to do this on several different levels.

1) You're offering to pay for an upgrade because your employer doesn't think it's worth it - which effectively means that you haven't sold the upgrade benefits to your employer so that he doesn't see the upgrade as a way to save him money. If you buy the upgrade for your employer, what message does it send him? The message is - don't spend money when you can get an employee to do it for you. I'd certainly think you were a 'soft touch' - ie someone who can be imposed upon.

2) How would you feel if someone else was given your responsibilty for using LW, when you've paid for it? How would you feel if you were told to use Max after paying for this upgrade? (these may not be valid concerns, depending on you employment situation)

3) LW9 is a Beta. Would you really risk starting an important project with it?

4) Suppose you start using LW9 and it all goes wrong (for whatever reason) and you miss a deadline, or lose some work (it might be nothing to do with LW9 at all). Who do you think will be held responsible for trusting the company deadline to Beta software whose purchase wasn't even approved.

5) You wouldn't even consider installing it without telling them, would you?

Paul (who says "think again" )

pauland
03-22-2006, 12:07 PM
oops I didn't catch all of the earlier posts, so in the light of the fact that you own the software (sure?) some of my comments aren't entirely applicable. the danger of using LW9 for current work is still there though.

Paul

metahumanity
03-22-2006, 02:30 PM
No way.

Donīt do it!

fyborg_1138
03-22-2006, 05:04 PM
If your employer does not, or can not, buy the upgrade, then ask yourself whether paying for the upgrade yourself is something that would make YOU happy, rather than buying it because you feel it would make your employer happy.

In my present employment, our department also has a limited budget for hardware and software. My "official" computer at work is 6-yrs old, running Win98 because there isn't any money for new computers or software. I spent my own money to buy new computers for my own use (three so far, including a laptop), a high-quality digital camera with various accoutrements, zoom/wide-angle lens, large format color printer, PhotoShop, Illustrator, MSOffice Pro, LightWave, etcetera. I've probably spent more than $10,000 of my own money over the past eight years on hardware and software for "work." I did so because these were things that *I* wanted for my own personal satisfaction at work and to improve my productivity, not because I thought my employer would appreciate it if I bought the stuff or to improve my value to my employer.

These personal purchases have increased my versatility at work and as a result, people come to me for help. It gives ME great satisfaction to be able to help my fellow workers with something that our department otherwise could not do. Also, since I own the hardware and software, I can use it for freelance work, whereas if they were my employer's, I could not (something about using my position and their hardware/software for personal gain, I think, very frowned upon).

I can't tell you whether upgrading to V9/Vue/LWCAD at this time will help you at work. Will it be "nice to have" at work? Sure, it probably will be. Is the upgrade a MUST HAVE at this time? Or is it something you (and your employer) can do without until funds are possibly available? Will a price increase break the bank in the future? Will there be other great deals after V9 comes out? I don't know.

My suggestion would then be to go for the upgrade if it makes YOU happy, regardless of whether you think it is something your boss wants you to do. There is something to be said for creating your own job satisfaction and not relying on your employer to give you a warm fuzzy feeling. If its something that gives you personal satisfaction, then it is money well spent. If it is something that increases your value to your employer, then it is money well spent. If it is something you feel you just gotta buy now, because you fear the offer will end soon, then that's MARKETING at its finest, and believe me, it works. I feel your pain.

Edit: No, I'm not Beta, I'm not that good yet...I'm still stumbling around in 8.5 at this time. I'll wait until those who know what they are doing get the bugs out and V9 is officially released before personally upgrading.

lesterfoster
03-22-2006, 07:25 PM
In my present employment, our department also has a limited budget for hardware and software. My "official" computer at work is 6-yrs old, running Win98 because there isn't any money for new computers or software. I spent my own money to buy new computers for my own use (three so far, including a laptop), a high-quality digital camera with various accoutrements, zoom/wide-angle lens, large format color printer, PhotoShop, Illustrator, MSOffice Pro, LightWave, etcetera. I've probably spent more than $10,000 of my own money over the past eight years on hardware and software for "work." I did so because these were things that *I* wanted for my own personal satisfaction at work and to improve my productivity, not because I thought my employer would appreciate it if I bought the stuff or to improve my value to my employer.

Do we work for the same employer?

My day job employer handed me down some bad news, no money for upgrades this year. Yet, I have this flyer for $395 with Vue5 and LWCad. Soooooo, I'm thinking about pulling out the plastic and justing upgrading to v9 myself. It's one thing to deal with budgets (and who knows the forces that dictate them, and the fact that the decision makers don't have to deal with the consequences), but this offer seems too good to pass up!

So, without anyone breaking disclosure. Is LW9 production worthy yet? Am I nuts to fork over my dough for this?

I upgraded to v9 just to take advantage of the lwCAD offer. I have not tried the BATA of v9. I only upgraded for the lwCAD offer. That alone was worth the price of the upgrade.

As far as the Vue5 goes, it looks like a good offer. But it did not motivate me to upgrade my LW. I have the CD, but I have not installed it yet. I know that lwCAD is attached to my dongle. But is Vue5 attached to the dongle? Or is it a stand alone program?

lesterfoster
03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
I must have hit the Submit Reply button, rather than the Preview Post button. My next question was going to be who owns Vue5:help:

colkai
03-23-2006, 03:15 AM
In my present employment, our department also has a limited budget for hardware and software. My "official" computer at work is 6-yrs old, running Win98 because there isn't any money for new computers or software.

Similar situation here, even though I can't afford to buy new PC's, my works PC is my "old" home PC (P3-550), otherwise, I'd still be using a P90 with 32MB ram and a 80MB hard drive.

It's not so much that we don't have money, but the boss is a "it's a PC isn't it?" type of person. (Of course, this doesn't stop him buying himself the latest laptops or deciding our new top-spec server would be better served as his daughters home PC - I kid you not).

As you say, using MY machine means, I have all my 'toys' on it and I can use them during breaks. This gives me a little sunshine to an otherwise dreary day. So for me, it's worth paying out for. Of course, by the same token, should the yever want me to use LW for the "good of the company", they'll find themselves with an invoice as it is NOT part of my day-job activities.

If I was using 3D as part of my job however, then I'd happily run LW on my own system rather than trying to get to grips with something else. Which, knowing my Boss, would probably the last free edition of XYZ that he could find on a magazine cover disc. :p

Or.. he'd want Maya the nask if someone could "source a crack" for it. Scary sa it sounds, it wouldn't be the first time he made such a request. Luckily, we decided a 'crack' for that software didn't exist so he'd have to but a legit version, boy, was he unhappy. ;)

pauland
03-23-2006, 03:51 AM
I've worked as software developer for many years now, but never in quite an environment like several people here have described. Most companies that I have worked at (as a freelance) have made sure that the kit is up to the job. I guess they see me as the expensive cog that must be kept turning and quickly!

I have only ever worked at one company that seemed to have a boss who would even think of using cracked software and fortunately while I suspected they might have used a crack in the past, I didn't encounter any in actual use during my time with them. It would have given me some real problems if they did.

All I can say is that you guys must really love your jobs besides working for these skinflints, or getting suitable jobs nearby must be problematic. The last place I worked at was considering buying a whole new PC from PC World because they had problems sourcing memory within a week for the machine I was using (which ran like a dog because it had only 256MB).

I have often used my own equipment and software to do work-related stuff. usually this has allowed me to do paid work at home (saving me at least two hours commuting on a seventy mile round trip), or to produce something rather better than others could. I can justify that by saying that the client is paying a freelance rate and effectively paying for that equipment/software.

What I did find in most clients was that really useful software is difficullt to get hold of if it was perceived by management as not being a 'core' tool - even if I used it all the time for diagrams or software development, presentations, etc. I did once work for a company that was evaluating software tools. Usually we'd get hold of evaluation software for free. In some cases we couldn't and it was decided it was cheaper to spend $15,000 on the software than hold up a project with ten people while negotiations took place over weeks to get the software for nothing. Times have changed in that respect though!

Anyway, it's good to see that you guys are getting what you want, even if you're paying for it yourselves. You have to wonder whether your provision of your own kit/software is actually fuelling your bosses reluctance to fund new software and hardware.

Anyway, good luck with whatever works for you!

parm
03-23-2006, 04:03 AM
If it's your own personal copy of Lightwave, and you want take advantage of the upgrade offers. I don't see why not.

LW 9 is in beta at the moment as you know. So, there is an opportunity to get familiar with all the features you see in the vids. Ahead of the final release.

colkai
03-23-2006, 04:06 AM
I've worked as software developer for many years now, but never in quite an environment like several people here have described. Most companies that I have worked at (as a freelance) have made sure that the kit is up to the job. I guess they see me as the expensive cog that must be kept turning and quickly!

I have only ever worked at one company that seemed to have a boss who would even think of using cracked software and fortunately while I suspected they might have used a crack in the past, I didn't encounter any in actual use during my time with them. It would have given me some real problems if they did.
Amen to that, that's why we didn't "find" one. Of course, given the InterWideWeb there was bound to be a crack, but it did not sit easy with the dev team.

My experience has been the total inverse of yours, only one job I had treated the staff anything like and had a test strategy.
Here, quick changes are referred to as "playing around", if it seems to work it's good code. I spend half my time fixing bugs caused by people not checking if the change has other implications besides the one screen they are working on.
I could give you a list taller than me of similar things, but bills must be paid and jobs here are not thick on the ground.
Oh for the days when the employer had to show you why you should work for them. ;)

As to commuting, sheesh, tell me about it!
I could rant and rave, (my pet peeve you see), suffice to say Arrghhhhh! :p

PeteF
03-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Sorry for not getting back folks. My dell 650 workstation is having issues...

Paul, I know where your coming from, but understand that I'm not a soft person. I consider myself a self-made professional. No braggin, just a fact. I choose to own my practice, and if that means a "job" working for someone else, well, it's really no different if my clients are also my fellow employees. Let my boss pay the taxes, health care, etc.

I came from an eight-year stint in the military, only having a HS education. Twelve years ago I was hired by my employer through a temp agency as a data entry clerk. Being proficient in computers and a tinkerer myself, I was given a chance to join one of the engineering development teams. I took a few years of night school towards a mechanical engineering degree. I never finished, having discovered animation/video production.

I created a position within the company and became it's multimedia developer. That was six years ago. I have a new boss, and he's a miser. I told him that since my PC was failing, I was going to take my work home. I don't have an employee mentality. I actually happend to love my work, the satisfaction it brings me and that I can feed my family as well. If I were to lose my job today, I'd still find work, now that I have a marketable skill. Anyway, long story short, I'm getting a new workstation -so as to the subject of my post, "I must be nuts"... well if I love my job that much to buy my own tools, then I'm hopelessly certified.

pauland
03-25-2006, 01:00 PM
PeteF - you've done well and I wish you the best!

Paul