PDA

View Full Version : Parenting to a deformation?

peteb
03-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Me again.

How would you go about gettting an object to follow the deformation of another object?

I've got a necklace and a big fat medallion on the end. I've got the necklace part in a seperate layer and being deformed by some bones in the characters body. But I want the medallion part to move with the points at the end of the chain. Obviously if I just parent the medallion to the chain it will just follow the parents pivot. I want it to some how know what the deformed points of the chain are doing and follow them.
How do you do that?

Pete B

kiwi dave
03-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Just a guess here, but what if you assigned a weight map to the medallion, and to the lower part of the chain, and then told the relevant bones to affect the weight map.

Dave

pooby
03-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Hardlink should work.. or Make path in dynamics.

Axis3d
03-22-2006, 08:42 PM
This is what I do in shots like this:

1. Make your object deform however you like (bones, deformations, etc.)
2. Add SoftFX to the object doing the deform.
3. In the SoftFX propertes: Under the Operator tab > Operator 1 Map, change this to "none".
4. Click "calculate". LW runs through your scene and records the point movements of your deforming object.
5. After that is done, click on the EditFX tab. Click Edittool.
6. In Layout, pick a point on your object that you want to parent to.
7. Then choose the "Commands" function, in the EditFX tab.

This saves out a null object with a path that you can parent anything to. You may have to keyframe animate rotations, though. But this should get you started.

Now, you can remove the SoftFX dynamic from that object.

peteb
03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Kiwi, thanks for the advice but adding a weight map won't work as the medallion will try and deform. If it was just one bone it would be fine but there's about 3 of them and so they're going to try and move the points in the medallion.

Never tried those techniques before so I'll give them a go.

Thanks all for your help.

Pete B

peteb
03-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey Pooby I couldn't get hardfx to work at all, not sure if it's anything to do with the fact I'm using a mesh with more then 2 points as hte controller?

I tried Axis3D suggestion and it worked great.

Thanks all for your help

Pete B

pooby
03-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Hard link not hard Fx

peteb
04-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Opps, My bad.

Thanks

Pete B