PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Sony PS3 using Alias 3D Tech?

DiscreetFX
03-22-2006, 04:26 AM
Why is the Playstation 3 using 3D animation technology from Alias?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

Quote "Sublicensed technologies includes: Alias Systems Corporation's 3D graphics programs [17]"

I thought Newtek had a very nice OEM relationship with Sony.

http://www.newtek.com/newtek/oem.php

???

Wickster
03-22-2006, 09:07 AM
I do hear a lot that Sony Imageworks works with Maya as their main software for film production. And according to friends who work for SCEA here in San Diego, they also use Maya for game production...Though the makers of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus clearly uses Lightwave, which was published by Sony. It's probably a money deal between the the two companies (Sony and Alias) and not so much of a friendly relationship. I mean there have been issues with the movie King Kong images disappearing from sites because it depicts that some Lightwave was used on it (which it was), but thats another story.

That's my take on it...

Red_Oddity
03-23-2006, 04:34 AM
Yup, this is called 'marketing', you can find that word in the dictionary under the 'C' for 'complete and utter bullsh!t'.

Seriously, you can jot down every program some company has 'sub-licensed' when doing a game for the PS3 (Maya, Lightwave, XSI, Max, Windows, and everything that includes (yes, go edit Wikipedia and jot down Notepad, you're allowed to), etc. etc. etc)

lilrayray77
03-23-2006, 04:38 AM
Isn't autodesk buying out Alias or something? They bought discreet, and now they are going for Alias. What's next?

Amurrell
04-01-2006, 07:48 PM
They did. Look for Maya on Google and it will redirect you to the Autodesk site. Hmmm. Maya and 3D studio under the same roof. Which one will be phased out, or will they be merged and called something else?

Red_Oddity
04-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Tsk, we're noricing the results already...
Seems Autodesk dropped the Lite version of Motion Builder...great, so now the only available version is the $4000 version...way to go.

Lamont
04-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Tsk, we're noricing the results already...
Seems Autodesk dropped the Lite version of Motion Builder...great, so now the only available version is the $4000 version...way to go.
"YAAAAAAAAAYYY!!"
"No Gir, that's bad."

toby
04-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Have heard that the next version of 3DSMax will be a re-write... wonder what it will be re-written with? Hmmm, maybe a 3d package that actually works? Think it will look familiar? HyperMaxShade, anyone?

radams
04-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi All,

THis is definately going OT here...

But yes Autodesk owns Discreet...they have for some time...it was just recently that they've pulled it into a division rather than its own company.

As for Alias, Autodesk is now or will be the largest owner of it...understand where does Autodesk make MOST of its money...Not 3D or Production related...it is with engineering and design firms around the world... That said...one thing that Alias has that Autodesk wants are the AUTO design and other firms who make and use Alias's design tools... As most know Viz/3Ds max etc... are not even in the same league as Alias's....and even their inventor/autocad 3D features...(SUCK).

Understand even thou WE here and others get into 3D for video, film, etc...This is a SMALL market in the overall scheme of business...wonder why alias...the number one company that is used in most film pipelines wanted to be bought out...

We are seeing a complete change in the WHOLE of the production and other market spaces. For NT to conintue LW they are going to have to make changes and see the flow shift...fortunately they have navigated changing waters before... I do not know if NT wants to see LW into other busniess markets...but that is where there are new users and needs... the static 3D market is going to grow little... IMHO...it is in gaming, business, and other markets that 3D is going to grow....

Cheers,

TheDude
04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
We are seeing a complete change in the WHOLE of the production and other market spaces. For NT to conintue LW they are going to have to make changes and see the flow shift...fortunately they have navigated changing waters before... I do not know if NT wants to see LW into other busniess markets...but that is where there are new users and needs... the static 3D market is going to grow little... IMHO...it is in gaming, business, and other markets that 3D is going to grow....

Cheers,

Kinda agree with that. 3D animation is now more about "market share" than "growing the market". IMHO, NT should be worried about other companies trying to lure away current LW users and less about finding new users.
What if Softimage offered every LW user a swap, LW for XSi....I bet a lot of us would think long and hard about an offer like that.... (I'm sure there'll be a few comments too :D )

Wickster
04-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Kinda agree with that. 3D animation is now more about "market share" than "growing the market". IMHO, NT should be worried about other companies trying to lure away current LW users and less about finding new users.
What if Softimage offered every LW user a swap, LW for XSi....I bet a lot of us would think long and hard about an offer like that.... (I'm sure there'll be a few comments too :D )
I think they've done that already awhile back, some of us here stayed and some left. I remember the whole deal back then, it wasn't just aimed at LW users but it was actually trade all other 3D Apps for XSI.

This has been going on with many companies. Maxon's LW companion crossgrade C4D pricing was just an example of it. Basically if you own one of the major 3D App either LW, Maya, Max, XSI, etc. The competing comapny witll try to lure you in to use their app. I've had offers, but thanks to NT's upgrade policies (no yearly subscription, unlimited render nodes) and pricing (free point releases) , I've stayed true. :D

TheDude
04-05-2006, 09:33 AM
The competing comapny witll try to lure you in to use their app. I've had offers, but thanks to NT's upgrade policies (no yearly subscription, unlimited render nodes) and pricing (free point releases) , I've stayed true. :D

It's the "free" render farm I'd hate to lose...plus what would I have to moan about :D