PDA

View Full Version : subpatch mode doesn't preserve symmetry

Alessandro P.
03-21-2006, 02:33 PM
try this:

1) place a cube on the scene, center it, then subpatch and freeze it
2) use supershift (or multishift or smoothshift) on the whole front part of the cube
3) try to drag the new shifted points, symmetry will not work ..

The reason behind this seems to be that subpatch mode doesn't preserve symmetry of the face normals. Thus any tool relying on face normals is affected. The metaformplus tool has the same problem, the smooth tool has the same problem too.

If I use extenderplus instead of supershift, then symmetry works. Also, if I use the subdivide tool instead of freezing subpatches, then symmetry works.

I met this issue by creating a 3x smoothed cube as the basis for a head. Since subdivide doesn't allow 3x division I freezed a 3x subpatch, then I was not able to use symmetry.

I guess this is not a real issue since probably subpatch mode is not intended for modelling, thus may be I used it the wrong way. Anyway, I hope this helps.

bye, Alessandro (from Italy)

loki74
03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
interesting... i'll have to try that sometime.

seems to me it could be pretty easily fixed though, just delete 1 half and then mirror the other. (I'm guessing you already did that?)

Alessandro P.
03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately in my case simple mirror wasn't an option, since the 3x subdivided cube has a band on the center, so you can't just delete and mirror one half. Unless you also bridge it.

Anyway, I finally opted for using extenderplus instead of multishift. This way I
don't care about the wrong face normals generated by subpatch mode, and symmetry works fine.

bye, Alessandro