PDA

View Full Version : Alternative graphics cards.. is it possible..?

mike_stening
03-21-2006, 10:15 AM
was looking through the apple support forums and saw sections on using the X850 card from ati in a G5, now as far as i can see on ati's site that card is a pc card but it is a PCIe 16 card and would in theory work in the G5 quad, and as the nvidia cards (other than the 6600) are not available other than build to order is it indeed possible to use the PC version of the X850 card in the G5 quad, and if so is it worth using with Lightwave. Really not happy with the performance of the nVidia 6600 and wanted the 7800 but cant' buy it anywhere so can we use the ati x850? and if so how do we do it?

mike_stening
03-21-2006, 10:16 AM
just to back it up here are the apple links

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93923

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302468

mlinde
03-22-2006, 10:27 AM
At this time, it does not appear that there are any 3PP PCI-e graphics cards released yet. Apple offers 3 cards (6600, 7800, Quadro 4500) on the G5, which means you might be able to contact a 3PP Authorized repair center and get one of those other cards. Apple, and Apple Retail stores won't be able to sell them to you, as they aren't available as a stand-alone purchase in the online or retail stores. However, there have been 3PP Authorized Resellers/Repair centers who have been willing to order and sell cards. You might do some calling/shopping to see if someone in your area would do that for you.

mike_stening
03-22-2006, 10:49 AM
cheers, i have been speaking to our tech support company and while they can get the cards as an add on or for repairs, if the original machine did not have that card apple charge about 1000 for the 7800 card which is frankly obscene. but this is purely for the purpose of stopping support companies offering just this type of service.
seems nuts that the only add on card you can get from apples site is the 6600.
and even though the 7800 card was missed on the original order for our macs by our apple center (not apple retail) they cannot now get these cards due to apple policies.
i do remember back in the day of flashing the rom on the old Voodoo cards to a mac rom and was just curious as to wether this was now possible for the PC x850 cards, long shot but doesn't hurt to ask

MarkH
03-23-2006, 02:46 PM
You're not totally up the creek! Dave [aka rubytuesday] from strangedogs.com is flashing the "eVGA Geforce 7800GT" and it works like a charm. I thought I was screwed after I bought my G5-Quad with the 6600. I didn't realize ya can't upgrade the PCIe graphics card later. I found strangedogs.com via google and the whole site is a bunch of mac-geeks dedicated to making different graphics cards work on Apple computers.

Dave is a moderator at strangedogs and everyone seems to like him. I took a leap of faith and contacted Dave letting him know I'd like to buy one of the 7800GT cards. I sent a Postal Money Order for $460 ($450 + $10 return shipping) and a week later I had my card. Dave sent it Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation. Installation is a breeze. Just pull out the 6600, install the 7800GT, and tap the power of the DVD drive with the included power-splitter so the 7800GT is connected. The only difference if you get the 7800GT as BTO through Apple is instead of tapping the power from the DVD there is a proprietary power cable that connects to the Motherboard.

If you're kicking yourself for getting a Dual/Quad Core with a 6600, this is your chance to upgrade to the 7800GT.

byte_fx
03-27-2006, 04:34 PM
You're not totally up the creek! Dave [aka rubytuesday] from strangedogs.com is flashing the "eVGA Geforce 7800GT" and it works like a charm. I thought I was screwed after I bought my G5-Quad with the 6600. I didn't realize ya can't upgrade the PCIe graphics card later. I found strangedogs.com via google and the whole site is a bunch of mac-geeks dedicated to making different graphics cards work on Apple computers.

Dave is a moderator at strangedogs and everyone seems to like him. I took a leap of faith and contacted Dave letting him know I'd like to buy one of the 7800GT cards. I sent a Postal Money Order for $460 ($450 + $10 return shipping) and a week later I had my card. Dave sent it Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation. Installation is a breeze. Just pull out the 6600, install the 7800GT, and tap the power of the DVD drive with the included power-splitter so the 7800GT is connected. The only difference if you get the 7800GT as BTO through Apple is instead of tapping the power from the DVD there is a proprietary power cable that connects to the Motherboard.

If you're kicking yourself for getting a Dual/Quad Core with a 6600, this is your chance to upgrade to the 7800GT.

WOW !

Thanks for the post - good info.

I just posted elsewhere about replacing the 6600 in a Power Mac I'm thinking of buying.

I've heard of strangedogs but never dealt with them.

Good to hear that the convesion works and that the service is good.

Thanks.

byte_fx

mike_stening
03-28-2006, 04:00 AM
cheers mark, though i am thinking that my company won't go for that as it's not a registered company or summint. though i cant see any reason not to as it could be a while before we can just go and buy one.

MarkH
03-28-2006, 08:42 AM
cheers mark, though i am thinking that my company won't go for that as it's not a registered company or summint. though i cant see any reason not to as it could be a while before we can just go and buy one.

You can buy the genuine Apple OEM 7800GT for $779 here (http://store.yahoo.com/lovemacs/6613835.html).

phdude
10-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Just to give you guys the heads up. I am one of the many who have been burned by Ruby. Seems lately he has been screwing his customers{victims)

Do a Google search on him before you decide your going to throw away your cash. He took me for 775.00 US

He does not reply to e-mails as well he disconected his phone. Basicly he's in hiding.

And I know of 14 others in the same boat.:thumbsdow

http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=sale&action=display&thread=1159416284

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=strangedogs_rubytuesday