PDA

View Full Version : About h/w acceleration (nvidia cards)

Quicksilver
03-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Hi,
I hope this is posted in the correct place, cause I didn't find anything hardware oriented on the forum.

I never had the opportunity to experience the use of a firegl or a nvidia quadro fx(personal preferation)

So I am kinda in the dark and maybe you could help me:

Since the price is double or worse(at least in greece) can anyone help me gather the differences between these 2:nvidia quadro 4500 e geforce 7900gts?
They share the same amount of memory (512) and the 7900 has memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 51.2 while the quadro has Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 33.6 (Gb/sec)
I suppose that the proccessor and the architecture of the quadro card is superior, but my point is this : is the price difference justified?
Anyone had a hands-on experience on these two?

mattclary
03-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Quadro cards use the same GPUs as consumer level cards, they just use different drivers. Some of the features on the Quadro card are very useful and spped things up in SOME 3D apps, but NOT in LightWave.

Seacrh the forums for OpenGL and you should find more info on the subject. LightWave (currently) does not make full use of OpenGL and is more dependant on the CPU for manipulation of geometry than the GPU. Supposedly LW 9 will make better use of OpenGL.

Before I would consider buying a Quadro, I would wait for LW 9 to be released to get some feedback on how well it performs.

Ivan D. Young
03-21-2006, 06:43 PM
I would agree with Matt, take a wait and see attitude on this matter. Until LW has more OpenGL capabilities you might be wasting your money. To be fair, most 3D apps do not really leverage as much power from the video cards as they should, in this regard Games are way ahead of CG field for the most part.

RedBull
03-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Don't bother with Quadro cards.... They are a waste of money,
the price is not justified, and the performance increase is negliable....

Buy a Nvida 6800+, 7300, 7800 etc.... Core Clock and Memory Speeds/amounts are really the only thing that matters...

The Quadro cards enable some enhancements that can often be unlocked in software (not as much these days) Maya in particular makes usage of hidden lines and stuff...... And Maya does have better OGL support than LW..

If the Quadro SLI's were out and were doubling the peformance of LW..
I'd say buy one, but i think they too will be overpriced and underperforming.

Stick with consumer cards, the perform the same, cost less and you can throw
them out and replace it with a new model, next week...
The quadros often have more problems than the consumer equiv too..

I once bought a Diamond FireGL 8MB AGP...... It was the fastest card
on the OGL block for about 3 days before Intel released the I740 chip...

The Intel card was 5x faster, and cost $70.00
The FireGL was 5x slower and cost $900.00

Lesson learnt..... :)

Eldorado
03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I agree with RedBull quadro's price isn't right. It'll take several more months befor it stays a steady course. Of course it really is a great card. It's used in most high preformence mobil platforms such as alianware(which are also overpriced).:ohmy:

Quicksilver
03-22-2006, 06:41 AM
:bowdown: thank you very very much!