PDA

View Full Version : LW Storage Space - Off Topic

sculptactive
03-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I was recently burgled.
Whilst it was not a great experience (lost the computers with the last six months worth of LW work), I came close to loosing my entire LW work which would have been a complete disaster.

This has prompted me to look for a storage space on-line to keep my files safe. I am not looking for free ones as a lot of the files are large. Any recommendations appreciated.

randomnumbers
03-21-2006, 11:24 AM
well if you have a gmail account you could just periodically email your most valuable data to yourself. storage approx 2.6gb and rising..

Stewdent101
03-21-2006, 11:31 AM
You could buy an external h/drive and save all your work on it and when you are finished simply unplug it and store it someplace safe

sculptactive
03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
That is what I have done to date.
The problem is if a thief decides to take everything not just your main computers having physical backups are no good.

gmail well I have work going back 10 years I'm guessing gmail will have up/down limits.

Kurtis
03-21-2006, 12:11 PM
If you want to use online storage, be really careful to read the terms of service. Make sure they don't have text giving them any rights to use or ownership of your files.

randomnumbers
03-21-2006, 12:46 PM
bank safety deposit box for that external hdd?

jeremyhardin
03-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Lock up those external HDs when done. Trusting strangers with your files online is asking to get burglared a different way. :D

Silkrooster
03-21-2006, 10:32 PM
I have to agree with jeremyhardin, not only could someone copy your data, they could corrupt your data. What about burning to dvd's and put those in a safety deposit box? Even flash drives are getting cheaper. When you think about it buying an external HD or flash drive, etc. is like buying an insurance policy, except you only have to pay once.:D
Silk

DrTWT
03-21-2006, 11:51 PM
if you decide to go on-line (despite excellent advice above) check out www.streamload.com. 25+GB online storage. I use it quite often to transfer files between work and home and amongst colleagues. No problems with the service yet (after 1 yr or so); but I don't use this for archives, just to get the files back and forth.

badllarma
03-22-2006, 02:26 AM
External Harddrive and safe :thumbsup:
Or DVD's and safe or Another PC unit in the house (loft with a network connection?) depending on how much you need to backup had a simlar thing happen to me BTW with a harddrive failed took everything with it or everything I was currently working on anyway worked out that one the hard way.

I'm forever telling friends to back up their digital photos in a generation stile of back up.
Son > Farther > Grand Farther (DVD's) every week (or month) depending on how often they take pictures I loath the day when I get the call "harddrive failed can I do anything?" Entire family historys gone forever.

sculptactive
03-22-2006, 04:10 AM
Thank for the advice.

I am going to take it and put an external HD in the loft or somewhere hard to get to. Golden rule Backup

DrTwT
I checked out streamload and am going to use it for file tranfering as you suggested

Captain Obvious
03-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Best solution is probably burning DVDs. They have a lower fail rate than hard drives, since they don't have moving parts or magnetism. Put them in a safe deposit box, or burn two copies and send one of them to someone you trust.

zapper1998
03-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Agreed Burn to DVD's, 7 gig stor, every sunday, backs up to burner..I save allot to burner now, from past exper. HD's failing, burning the content to disc is cheaper.

on the other hand....my little hidden HD...
I have a 400 gig Usb External HD, and its in the little pop cooler in the next room, bolted to the wall [ I mounted to the wall at waist level, so I could keep clean the floor under it, and not have to bend over actually ] has lock on it so my room mate don't accidentally drink my favorite rootbeer pop, I like my root beer floats.. plus it stays cool in the fridge, the USB Ext HD did get a little warm so that's why I decided to put er in the fridge..

Now If I could put the Puters in the fridge [bigger fridge] hmmmmm...

"out of site out of mind"

:thumbsup: