PDA

View Full Version : SurfMixer

Paul Brunson
03-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I've got a scene where I'm trying to bind Surfmixer's (shader plugin for mixing between two different surfaces) blending to a slider using expressions. It should be fairly straight foward. you can evelope surf mixer's blending. Which means its no sweat to pass that to a slider. But the problem I run into is everytime I use any sort of expression on SurfMixers motion graph and hit render it crashes. It renders fine when Surfmixer is set manually. It just seems to hate expressions. This is a very reliable crash. I can get it with a simple scene blending the surface between a blue ball and a red ball.

Does anybody know what might be wrong or know a good work around?

Paul Brunson
03-22-2006, 04:44 PM
So after beating my head against the wall for the last few days. I finally came up with a work around. Bottom line the SurfMixer shader plugin's blending envelope hates and loathes all motion modifying plugins be they expressions or what not. You apply one and Lightwave is going down the second you hit "F9"
To get around this I applied a texture to SurfMixers blending instead of an envelope. Inside the texture editor I applied the procedural texture "value", then gave it a value of 100%. Then I enveloped the Opacity of the value procedural and used an expression to bind the opacity channel to my slider.

For some reason using this round about way brings joy and happiness to the soul of SurfMixer.

Hopefully this might help others. Even more hopefully plugins like this will work properly in Lightwave 9.0. I've found quite a few plugins in layout that just don't work the way they used to. IE Settings don't save, they crash layout etc. Hopefully these will be fixed Newtek. (Hint hint, nudge, nudge. Don't forget to test your plugins)