PDA

View Full Version : Mixing subpatch and "hard edge" polys

geedee
03-20-2006, 04:53 PM
:newhere:

Hi all

Can someone please help me with the problem of mixing subpatch polys with non subpatch.

From the image I've attached, this is a box which has curvy sides to it (so uses subpatches), but has quite a flat and square base with little square feet too. Problem is that when I knife the base to put the feet in, the base goes square shaped but becomes (visually) disconnected from the curvy sides. The edges to the base shouldn't be pointed, but smooth and curvy!

Can this type of thing be done from a subpatched box or should I be doing it some other way? I've tried to put extra cuts in the base near the edges so the subpatch doesn't affect it so much, but it makes even more of a mess. Also, adding weights don't seem to help much either, but makes a mess...!

:help:

Thank you

loki74
03-20-2006, 05:01 PM
hmm. sounds like some ngons are resulting from the cuts you make. It would be much easier to assees the problem if you had some wireframes to show. (better yet, wireframes of the before & after cuts).

Try using bandsaw to make the cuts.

geedee
03-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Loki74, thanks so much for those tips. I was just knifing the single poly which made up the base. Once I used bandsaw, it of course made a huge difference! :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you

Lewis
03-20-2006, 05:28 PM
It's not best solution to mix those (SubPatch+normal polys) if they are connected to each other (there is some tricks how to mix them but it's not useful in all situations) 'coz LW won't alow you to subPatch N-gons and you probably have them now. There is few solutions but as loki74 said show us wireframe and we can help you to correct problem (or upload model and i can fix it to show you what you should do)

cheers

geedee
03-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi Lewis

Thanks so much for your suggestions and offer to help - that's amazing! I did have success in getting squarer feet when I used the bandsaw tool rather than knife on just the bottom polygon.

However, I'd be interested in knowing which technique you would use to create the packet of tooth floss (images attached). My modelling is not yet much good! And I'm wondering if starting from a box was the best way. The next part of the model (around the top) with the indented bit and the half circle bit seems very hard to do. Should I start again and try to do it poly by poly (not box method)?

Maybe not the best thing to try to model for one of my first models, but I've done quite a few tutorials now and think I know a little about how the tools work, but it's now just learning when to use them, and which modelling technique to use...

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Thank you. :)

IZZE
03-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I should be at lunch and im here modeling a floss container for some reason. Anyway, I used splines, box, and point by pont for this object. If you wanted to only use one method, I would spline it. Also you can use Ngons and subpatches together with a combination of weight maps.

http://www.bobbybruceband.com/chris/render1.jpg

http://www.bobbybruceband.com/chris/render2.jpg

you can take a look at my object HERE (http://www.bobbybruceband.com/chris/floss.zip)

Danakinobi
12-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Try weight map... After you subpatch your box, click on the "W" in lower right corner and then to the right, change the "none" to SubPatch Weight... Then go up to the "map" tab... Once you click on that, on the left under Weights, click on the "weights" and then press N to bring up your "numeric weights tool" window.

You can either select by point or polygon, those two are my favorite... Then drag you mouse in the direction you want to make the edge sharper. You will need to practice with it because the technique is very subjective, but it allows you to have hard edges in sub-patch mode without having to add too much extra geometry.

prometheus
12-17-2012, 04:01 AM
catmull clark subpatch allows for edge weighting, detail/edges increase, decrease sharpness and set sharpness by value.

Snosrap
12-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Hopefully after 6 years he has figured it out.:D