03-20-2006, 02:49 PM
We've added a new LightWave v9 Feature Video to the videos page:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/lw9_demos.php

The new video is ACT: Custom Lenses
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/ACT_Lenses.mov

shermanlu
03-20-2006, 06:07 PM
:thumbsup:
Man~~~this is REALLY Cool...sweet & smart way to deal with Camera lenses!!!

harlan
03-20-2006, 09:55 PM
interesting....

Captain Obvious
03-21-2006, 12:57 AM
That's pretty neat.

badllarma
03-21-2006, 01:14 AM
hummmm.............Intresting but apart from creating VJing animations I cannot really see any benefit in a nornal production.

I would of though best to add effects like this via post otherwise if incorrect it's a rerender every time :foreheads

Nice to have it of course, the main thing I can see the ACT tools for would be producing Fish eye lens effects for producing a sky dome texture and the like.

metahumanity
03-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Nice for heatwaves.

MrWyatt
03-21-2006, 01:25 AM
nice for underwater distortion too

WilliamVaughan
03-21-2006, 08:04 AM
These are all extreme examples. I think the true power is in Subtle distortions like true lenses have.

SCS5
03-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Wow..........now I can get my clients stoned and stare at something that I'll never need and go Woooooow. I'm sorry but, Show us the real tools we were promised in the LW9 upgrade!!!! Animatable Modeling in Layout, Better Rigging, OpenGL that's as fast as the rest of the 3D world in BOTH MODELER & LAYOUT, Real Splines in layout, Animation Tools and plug-ins in Layout that actually WORK TOGETHER!!!......LW9........I'm not impressed so far!!!!! What a let down!!!:thumbsdow

Chuck
03-21-2006, 08:30 AM
ACT has an unlimited range of uses from the flashy and fun that this video demonstrates to matching real-world cameras in order to create 3D elements that blend perfectly with live action footage to creating regularly useful tools such as orthographic and surface baking cameras (yes, that's where those came from); among the other examples of things that we've created with ACT that would be useful for a pretty big field of users is a two-point perspective camera, something visualization users (architects for example) can use very handily as a standard part of their toolset.

While, as William points out, this is an extreme set of examples in terms of the distortions achieved, all the tools shown can be used to much more subtle effect to produce lens effects that would be used much more regularly for a wide variety of very practical daily work.

Ztreem
03-21-2006, 08:42 AM
This is a great tool, Thanks!

Mylenium
03-21-2006, 11:09 AM
hummmm.............Intresting but apart from creating VJing animations I cannot really see any benefit in a nornal production.

Oh, there's a lot of uses, the simplest being a major cutdown in render times for multiple shots of the same scene. Instead of rendering multiple scene files separately, you create a camera object and simply render to a bigger image file which then can easily be separated into smaller ones again. In scenes with lots of deformed geometry of any kind it could yield substantial efficiency improvements because all "Updating geometry" actions would only occur once... There are certainly even more cool and funky uses, but I have to play with LW 9 a bit more (if I can find the time, that is).

Mylenium

lardbros
03-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Wow..........now I can get my clients stoned and stare at something that I'll never need and go Woooooow. I'm sorry but, Show us the real tools we were promised in the LW9 upgrade!!!! Animatable Modeling in Layout, Better Rigging, OpenGL that's as fast as the rest of the 3D world in BOTH MODELER & LAYOUT, Real Splines in layout, Animation Tools and plug-ins in Layout that actually WORK TOGETHER!!!......LW9........I'm not impressed so far!!!!! What a let down!!!:thumbsdow

Oh... i can't remember the Better rigging/Real splines in Layout being promised.
Also think you're being a bit harsh... these ACTools are better than any other package i've seen, and this is the very first iteration of them, so i'd expect them to get even better with age! And they are far from useless, i can think of plenty of uses for them in production, and wish 3dStudio had them so i could use them at work!

FranK10
03-24-2006, 03:26 AM
Oh, there's a lot of uses, the simplest being a major cutdown in render times for multiple shots of the same scene. Instead of rendering multiple scene files separately, you create a camera object and simply render to a bigger image file which then can easily be separated into smaller ones again. In scenes with lots of deformed geometry of any kind it could yield substantial efficiency improvements because all "Updating geometry" actions would only occur once...

I thought of this use, too. But I was thinking also at the CCTV shader with many cameras to produce different POV of a scene, but I haven't tried them, up to now. Which of these two approaches could be better to make this multi-angle renders?

Anyway thanks a lot for this tool NT. It's very good!

Nemoid
03-24-2006, 09:34 AM
i have to say i imagined this tool could be only an image filter,(this could be done better in post pro apps) but being able to literally construct your lenses rocks, because extends your power and control over distortion. well done tool:thumbsup: