PDA

View Full Version : How do I make this shape? (complete noob!) :)

focus3d
05-21-2003, 03:41 AM
Hey people,

just wondering how I make the shape shown below, I am a bit of a noob and have started using Lightwave at college.

Anyone give me a hand?

Thanks in advance! :)

focus3d

focus3d
05-21-2003, 03:53 AM
p.s my problem is that I can't figure out how to get the curved edges, tried it with spline and bezier but no joy! :)

cheers

Aegis
05-21-2003, 04:55 AM
Create a box with rounded edges (using radius and radius segments) and use the shear tool.

Matt
05-21-2003, 05:30 AM
This is why LW NEEDS better 2D drawing tools.

I did write a loooong way of doing this using standard LW tools, but then I looked on flay.com for a plugin that did what you want, so here's the shorter version!!!

1) As Aegis suggested, click the box tool ('X' shortcut key) then bring up the numeric requester to access the other functions of the box tool ('n' shortcut key) drag out a flat plane (keep the height at 0) give the plane an edge radius (option found in the numeric requester) and make sure the 'Radius Segments' is an even number (makes for a cleaner radius) (forget the 'Shear' tool part, don't need it)

2) You should now have a flat plane with radiussed edges, however we want to create a closed curve from this for a plugin I found, so kill the polygon to leave the points ('k' key)

3) You'll notive you have 4 'inner' points which mark where the centre of the radiusses were, delete them

4) Now select all the points in a clockwise loop and create a closed curve (CTRL+'O' key)

5) Assuming you know how to add plugins (if not ask!) download this plug from Pictrix's site (http://plaza17.mbn.or.jp/~PICTRIX/lw/ls/tube/Tube_Point_Chain110.zip) and add it to your menus (it will appear by default in 'Construct->Additional' after adding)

6) Select the open curve and run this plugin, tell it how many segments you need and the diameter/radius of your tube and hey presto!!!

Hope that helps!

You could also do this by using 'rail extrude' which requires a little more work, but will allow more control over the tube profile section (i.e. you could do oval, square etc. 'tubes')

Hope that helps!

Matt

P.S. Pictrix has some great modelling plugins, check the rest of his site while you're there!

Matt
05-21-2003, 05:35 AM
doh, just looked a the plugin name Tube POINT Chain, so you don't need to create a curve, so skip out part 4 and just select the points in order, then run the plugin!

:)