PDA

View Full Version : correct audio levels...whats the best way?

williamb
03-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi
Can someone please suggest the best way to capture audio when digitising AV?
I have a DVCPRO deck and I donít use the firewire, instead I use Y/C and the RCA audio out. I find that the levels drop considerably, someone suggested that I should put the VT-IN on max and the record dial in capture to max and use the VT-Out to adjust audio level (seems to be an improvement.) (I can do this if capture panel is set to program out)
I use VT3 and I donít have a SX84
What is the best way to capture audio? Can someone please help?
Thanks
William

wvp
03-21-2006, 07:00 AM
First I would give serious thought to upgrading to VT4.6. THe audio improvements from Vt3 to VT4.6 are huge.
Second, unless your are doing heavy, complex editing and thus want to use the RTV codec - I would use firewire and import the audio/video as DV. It saves a ton of space and more importantly, keeps your original digital signal at the same quality.

williamb
03-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Thank you for your response
Am I correct in understanding that Y/C (SVIDEO) is superior than firewire in video quality?
I often use DV1 codec (pal)
Is 4.6 software upgrade all that is necessary?

wvp
03-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Firewire would be the better way to go with your digital sources. Y/C is an analog signal, so if your source is digital you would be better off transferring the video via firewire rather than digitizing via Y/C.
The 4.6 software upgrade is all that is necessary. I am running 4.6 on three machines - all with VT2 or 3 cards and one with an SX-8.