PDA

View Full Version : cough cough.. ack... Smoke!!

nokimar
03-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Hey guys,

I want to create a smoke like this one (attached) but no matter how I tried I still canít make one (not even close to). All I can do with LW particle system is to create smoke coming out from a meteor tail. Does anyone know how to achieve this? Or do I have to give up LW particle system and use something else? (Or maybe i'm just an idiot?)

(I love this photo and I hope I can recreate it in LW as well: http://www.filemagazine.org/galleries/smoke/front.html

Lamont
03-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Like that? No, you can't. I think there is a plugin available.

http://www.polas.net/smoke/index.php

Not as spiffy, but the motion is there.

egearbox
03-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Maybe try a surface and some soft body dynamics, rather than HVs.

jeremyhardin
03-20-2006, 01:15 PM
yeah, not with particles. I have a geometry surfaced version of that type of smoke on my website:

http://jeremy.lwidof.net/#examples
(scroll down, you'll see the picture)

nokimar
03-20-2006, 09:15 PM
jeremyhardin, your cone smoke totally rocks!

Lamont, yeah, that plugin looks cool, love the way the particles flow. I'm playing with the demo version...

Thanks for quick responding you guys.

BTW, I attached a smoke scene that I found on the net (somewhere, dun remember) and I beleive he used Maya, my question is can our LW particle system handle this?

Thanks again. u guys rock.

jeremyhardin
03-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks! and as to doing that in LW, nope. not even close. That would be maya fluids (2d, from the looks of it), and LW particles just aren't even in the same ballpark. HowardM the closest things to it in LW, if you search the forums. But again, it's really just a totally different thing.

nokimar
03-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Hmm, i guess i'll have to use Maya for smoky scene... i tried to use Maya before, i know it's great :thumbsup: but i just hate the mess of the menus :help:

jeremyhardin
03-21-2006, 08:43 PM
check out the 2d option to maya fluids. it calculates on a plane in 2d, but it looks really cool and calculates quickly. this can work for a lot of shots.

nokimar
03-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Yah, i'm reading the fluid manual, 2d fluid is really amazing, just add a little turbulence and we got a cool flow already. Gotta finish the reading...

Eldorado
03-21-2006, 09:21 PM
How about adding a cloud preset to the texture map. Or use two emmiters.

nokimar
03-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Eldorado, I tried that before but it didn't work, cuz particles are still particles, they cannot be blended into smoke streams (very sad indeed).

I just found out that JetStream FX (plugin from Dstorm) can (probaly) do this with the stream mode. Unfortunately, the demo version didn't work with LW 8.5 which i'm using. So has any of you tried JetStream? Does it really work?

MiniFireDragon
03-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Actually, I think this could be done in lightwave9:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/Animation_Path.mov

In this video it looks like you can make particles follow the path which will get your twisty smoke and then using HV's to make the colored smoke.

jeremyhardin
03-24-2006, 12:48 PM
the animation path for particles is not new. only the simplification of adding it and interfacing with it. but we can already make particles follow paths.

and it would take quite a few paths to look, well, like it's not a few paths.

shading wise it could somewhat resemble it, but it could not look fluid. the only way to get blobs to not look like blobs (regardless of how they move) is LOTS of motion blur. but then, you still have the movement problems and crappy motion blur, so your back at not-doable-with-the-current-tools status.