PDA

View Full Version : Channel follower not working how I thought

peteb
03-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Ok I seem to be having nothing but problems with stuff that I thought would be nice and easy. I'm following an old tutorial in Inside Lightwave 6, chapter 14 some jet fighter type thing. Anyway you have to use channel follower and everything works great in till I get to the bit where you have to get one wing to extend along the X axis following the opposite wing. When I apply follower the wing that's meant to follow jumps right out of position. From what I can tell channel follower adds the other wings position on top of the position that the follower is in. So if the original wing is say at 1m on the X and the wing that you're going to apply follower to is at -1m on the X. When you applly follower the following wing it jumps from it's -1m position to -2m

I find two things strange about this. One is, why would I want it to do that? Surely I only want the follower to take on the original objects motion not it's starting postion in world space.

The second thing I find strange is how comes it works in the tutorial?

Any help

Pete B

toonafish
03-19-2006, 07:22 AM
Did you set the X axis in Follower to "multiply by -1" and activated World Coordinates ?

peteb
03-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Ah! I had set the scale to -1 but when you say world cords do you mean under the general header, as in between local, parent and "world"? If so I tried changing the cords to world but had the same problem.

Pete B

toonafish
03-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Oops, you're talking about Channel Follower. I'm sorry, I thought it was about Follower. The motion plug you add in in the motion panel and not in the Graph Editor.

You might want to use Follower instead of Channel Follower, it's interactive. But if you insist on using Channel Follower, maybe you need to set the initial position of the object using it to zero. I think channel follower is additive, so it's adding the values to the keyframed values.

Maybe thts' what's causing the problem.

peteb
03-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah it looks like it's what's causing the problem. The problem with follower is you can't access mophs though it, can you?

Pete B

toonafish
03-20-2006, 03:28 AM
nope if you're driving morphs you're stuck to the graph editor motion plugs.

what are you trying to do ? Maybe there's another solution.

peteb
03-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Well to be honest the channel follower problem was related to the tutorial I was learning in Lightwave 6 so actually had nothing to do with morphs.

My main problem is with cycler which you can find here, if you can help with that it would be great.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48037

Cheers

Pete B