PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Event of Dooom

Shadowtags
03-19-2006, 01:55 AM
I'm a very new Lightwaveuser (4-5 days), but I'm maing progress ... slowly, but still. Anyway; I made a glassbowl, smoothed it out´and tried to save it as an object, but was then informed that "DED" (topic), doesn't allow layers to contain more than 400 points, my glassbowl have about 18000 point.

Help please!

3D Kiwi
03-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Only thing you can do is break your obj down to different layers so each layer has less than 400 points. Not much help with a object that has 18000 points, that would work out to about 45 layers you would need.

To be honest it seams like a very high point count for a bowl (depending on the shape of it), Post a pic of the bowl you are trying to make and we could see if there is a way to make it with a more usable point count in discovery edition.

peteb
03-19-2006, 04:27 AM
Read up on subpatches. They're a curved based style of modelling. What this will basically allow you to do is make that bowl out of probably no more the 20 polys. When in Poly mode it will look very jagged but hit the tab key and it will look lovely and smooth. That way you can save it with out any problems.

Pete B

Shadowtags
03-19-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm using tutorials to learn more about lightwave and I tried to make the glassbowl in this one:

http://www.prodesignhost.com/tutorials/3d_studio_max_tutorials/3d_graphics_Create_a_Glass_Bowl.php

It all went well until the point of saving, then no more.:thumbsdow

I actually tried to put 400+ creation into different layers, but the same thing happened.