PDA

View Full Version : HD Monitor Options

ted
03-18-2006, 12:17 AM
As you have probably heard, I'm moving into the HD world. What I'm now researching is field monitor options.
My perfect plan would be to utilize a 17" laptop as a HD monitor which would also double as a file transfer hard drive and playback the files.
I currently use a 5K Sony field monitor, so I'm not opposed to spending a few bucks for the right tool. But I really think for the money, I'd rather get a kick arse laptop with many uses then a 5K monitor which only gives good pictures!

What are your opinions? Thanks!!!

Silkrooster
03-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Something to keep in mind, Video on a laptop must go through the cpu and for HD that would require 3GHz or faster. So far I haven't seen any laptops that have a video pass thru. Which would be better. I thought I read something from HP that could view dvd's without turning on the laptop, but I am not sure on that. What about the DVD players with lcd panel I wonder how they operate. Then again I don't recall any of them being HD.
Good luck
Silk

radams
03-18-2006, 01:02 AM
As you have probably heard, I'm moving into the HD world. What I'm now researching is field monitor options.
My perfect plan would be to utilize a 17" laptop as a HD monitor which would also double as a file transfer hard drive and playback the files.
I currently use a 5K Sony field monitor, so I'm not opposed to spending a few bucks for the right tool. But I really think for the money, I'd rather get a kick arse laptop with many uses then a 5K monitor which only gives good pictures!

What are your opinions? Thanks!!!

From my experience there is NO substitute for a GOOD reference monitor on location ESPECIALLY HD shoots.

Also the monitors on Laptops are not consistent and do not fully show you a linear display...you will not only have color issues but contrast and other issues at this time.

I would strongly suggest looking for a REAL reference monitor to work with. It will also save your butt ;)

Cheers,