PDA

View Full Version : Velociraptor - My First Animation

robpauza
02-17-2003, 01:42 AM
http://users.chartertn.net/robpauza/raptor.jpg

Hey Everyone,

It's taken me a while to learn the basics of rigging and animation, but here's my first first attempt. Please let me know what I can improve on.

Thanks,

Rob

Here's the animation:
2.1 MB - DivX (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/robpauza/rapdivx.avi)

Just in case you have trouble with the file above:
2.1 MB - DivX (.zipped file) (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/robpauza/rapdivx.zip)

MorituriMax
02-17-2003, 01:50 AM
Whoahhhhh Momma!

Awesome, sharp, neat, wonderful work.

No kidding, this is sweeet!

Propz!

HowardM
02-17-2003, 01:51 AM
Thats pretty damn sweet Rob!
He floats a little compared to JP's raptors...watch that ending with the Trex and the 2 raptors...still thats awesome!

roguenroll
02-17-2003, 02:20 AM
thats great, modelling, textures, animation was just about perfect.

Did you find a good dino refs, I've been trying to start a veloc, or Trex or stegasaurus, but the refs are pretty detail_less.

Rogue

Rory_L
02-17-2003, 03:24 AM
Like everyone else says: sweet!

However, you want C&C, you get C&C ;)

Make sure that left and right limbs are not keyed on the same or near frames. At the moment it`s a bit mechanical.

When the raptor leans back in preparation to leap, it looks like you`re dragging `BodyNull` on the Z. Try moving the right foot back, to maintain balance and see if that improves things. If you really want both feet planted on the spot, you`ll need to pitch the whole body, neck, head and tail forward, so the tail goes up and head down, to maintain the centre of balance.

The landing takes too long. This is what people mean by floaty :) You should try two things to give Dino more weight. First, make sure that Z-trans function curve slams down into its final value. Second, extend the legs to anticipate the body`s decent. If the feet have hit the ground, the dinosaur`s leg muscles will be acting as shock absorbers, slowing its landing. It`ll look much more natural.

The head and neck motion after landing is very nice!

Cheers,

R

kenmac
02-17-2003, 10:42 AM
That dino is a *****. Really nice Rob.
Ken Mac

Meaty
02-17-2003, 10:55 AM
woooo!!! the raptor is even breathing!! great touch! it is almost perfect

robpauza
02-17-2003, 04:23 PM
MorituriMax:
Thanks a bunch.

HowardM:
I'll work on the floating. Thanks.

roguenroll:
Thank you. Actually, no, I didn't have good refs and my dino went through a sort of cutesy cartoony look because of it. I ended up tweaking the model using a few scientific drawings from a book entitled "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World." -an interesting book, but not so great as far as reference material. I looked mostly at current reptile photos as the basis of a texturing scheme.

Rory_L:
Thanks a ton. That's exactly the C&C I was hoping for. I agree about the limbs. I was trying not to have too much going on at once, but they probably shouldn't be so uniform. I think you're right on about the balance. I'll see what I can do. Could you briefly explain the "Z-trans function?" (I'm new to the animation part) Again, thanks. You've helped me a lot.

Ken:
Thank you. It's nice to recognize people from the previous forum who have resisted changing their screen name to something funky. Go Springsteen!

Meaty:
Thanks. I just used a couple of rib bones to animate the breathing. It was quick and easy.

Thanks again everyone,
-Rob

Demon
02-17-2003, 05:01 PM
yeah great anim man...

i am also werking on dinosaurs...did a tut about them which can be found on newteks tut site... maybe we should give it a try together?

here is my most recent version of that flying pteranodon dino

http://www.universe-3d.com/Anims/pteranodon16best.avi

hope u enjoy :)

tnyplz
02-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Looks super to me
tony

roguenroll
02-17-2003, 06:54 PM
nice teradacyl (sp?) dino. looks since you don't have a animation of your BG, try a displacment map to make the water look like its moving. another one will work on the trees, also a little panning, provided the pic is big enough.

it great though, Id like to try my hand at a dino sometime.

Rory_L
02-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Could you briefly explain the "Z-trans function?"

Sorry about that! It was a horrible abbreviation of `Translation along the Z axis`. I`ve been using Maya at work for the past two years and it`s rotting my ability to speak plain English!

My meaning was that your model looks like it is being moved by an outside force, namely you the animator, rather than moving itself. If you push someone, they move backwards, but lose their balance. If they move themselves backwards they`ll keep that balance. That`s all I was trying to say. :)

All the best,

Rory

pixelranger
02-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Very nice Rob! I really like his head motion (f.ex. in the end). You've managed to give him personality.
However I agree with what Rory pointed out. But so does you, so why do I mention it? I dunno.

Anyway, if we're going to be picky, theres a couple more things.

When he stands still in the beginning I don't think he would stand like that with the feet parallel on the x axis. To better maintain balance he would have one foot in front of the other.

Also, to tie it to gether maybe you could make him exhale fast just as he jumps, like every weight lifter or martial artist does (to bring out more energy in the motion).

When it comes to secondary motion, maybe you could work a bit more on the loose skin under/behind his thighs. It's not quite in sync with the body movement...

Last, I notice a couple of places that it's too apparent that you're using IK on his arms. Actually I think using FK would be better, 'cause then you'd get arcs in every arm swing and not the stringed puppet look you often get with IK on the arms.

Other than this, a really excellent piece of, well, everything! Modelling, texturing, rigging, and animation. :)

robpauza
02-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Demon:
Thanks. Really cool pteranodon too. That would look really sweet on an animated background. My only criticism with the animation is that the body should probably move up and down in contrary motion as the wings flap up and down. Awesome work though. Thanks for sharing. Any more?

tnyplz:
Thank you.

Rory_L:
LOL. :) Thanks for getting back to me. I agree with you.

pixelranger:
Thank you. I love picky critiques. -all good suggestions. Yeah the IK arms look a little funny now that you mention it -sort of mime-like. (those street performer guys with the white faces) :D

Thanks all,
-Rob

robpauza
02-17-2003, 10:24 PM
By the way, thanks for the stars. I'm honored.
-Rob

mohh
02-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Hi Rob,

That looks great! You're textures are awesome and I love the breathing, adds that notch of realism to it. I do have one critic though. The claws on the feet are turned up, they should curve towards the ground.

Demon
02-18-2003, 07:32 AM
rob:

btw, sorry for putting my link in here...after i did it i thought its pretty respect less.. hope u forgive that...my appologies...

well the body moves up and down in the preview and i have no clue why it wont show at all in the anim.. i try to make more out of it... but as i said its still a wip :)

but thx for comments

Global Hawk
02-18-2003, 08:00 AM
I must put in my 2 cents! And I agree with all the rest! Good Work !:eek: :D

I'm impressed.;)

robpauza
02-18-2003, 06:45 PM
mohh:
I'll work on the claws. Thanks.

Demon:
As far as I'm concerned, it's Newtek's thread anyway, not mine. Please feel free to post anything, especially such nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing your pteranodon progress.

Global Hawk:
I appreciate it. I've still got a lot to learn though.

Thanks everyone.
-Rob

JDaniel
02-18-2003, 09:46 PM
I like it Rob. The breathing is great. Maybe offset the arm motion a bit. I got a textured dino com'in too.
If this is the LW-Gallery-Finished thread, it's going to get huge.

robpauza
02-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey Jacky,

Thanks. I just checked out your T-Rex at your site. It's going to be really nice. I'll work on the arms on mine.

Newtek just created the separate "WIP section". They're supposed to start moving these "unfinished work" threads into there soon. So probably, the WIP section will soon be the one getting huge. :)

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to seeing your dino progress.
-Rob

robpauza
02-19-2003, 10:29 PM
I was just having fun tonight and thought I'd share. :D
http://users.chartertn.net/robpauza/raptri.jpg

-Rob

roguenroll
02-19-2003, 10:39 PM
thats funny, great grass BTW

mohh
02-19-2003, 11:23 PM
LOL,

That's great!

robpauza
02-19-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Here's a really rough OpenGL preview of the unicycle anim (just in case you have absolutely nothing else to do):
800 KB - DivX (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/robpauza/rapcycle.avi)

-Rob

vertiis
02-20-2003, 04:39 AM
i really like it :) a specially that's just your fist attempt!
keep it up
v.

PHilly[Dee]
02-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by robpauza

(just in case you have absolutely nothing else to do):
[/URL]

-Rob

hee hee, I GAVE myself nothing to do just to check it out... :D good work!!

Lewis
02-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Fantastic job Rob. This is great for first try. I'am sure you will correct those small problems with jump/limbs but i just love that second animation :). You really should try to render unicycle animation 'coz it's looking perfect so far. Just extend it to few more frames.

robpauza
02-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks Vertiis.

Thanks PHilly [Dee]. Glad you enjoyed it. :D

Lewis,
Thank you. Hopefully, I'll keep getting better as I progress. I'll try and fix those problem areas. Glad you like the unicycle anim. I'll render it for you sometime in the near future. Set your video player to "loop" and he can go all night long. :D Maybe I'll teach him how to juggle too.

----------------

Here's another one I did a few weeks ago while I was trying to learn how to rig (hence the arms being rotated on the wrong axis). I posted it in the old Newtek forum, but maybe some of you didn't see it.
http://users.chartertn.net/robpauza/budrap.jpg

-Rob

Demon
02-21-2003, 06:06 AM
oh boy, thats just awsome.. no more to say.. that gets a five on the starlist :)

btw, u got icq?

Aquaman
02-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Excellent work. I love the texturing and I especially like how you've animated it on the unicycle.

JDaniel
02-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Very funny Rob. It gives me ideas?

robpauza
02-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Thanks Demon.

Thanks Aquaman.

Thanks Jacky. Your T-Rex is coming along nicely BTW.

Here's the rendered animation of the unicycle:
(712KB) - DivX (http://users.chartertn.net/robpauza/rapcyc.avi)

Here's a preview of the above:
http://users.chartertn.net/robpauza/rapcyc.jpg

See ya,
-Rob

Demon
02-25-2003, 02:08 AM
cool... but thats one of the most realistic gras i ve ever seen... sasquatch rules!!!!!

very nice rob!

Lewis
02-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah Rob this looks soo cool :).

JDaniel
02-25-2003, 10:05 PM
:D :D :D Too funny.

robpauza
02-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys. -Just having a little fun.

(Forgot to say... set your player to "loop" for hours of entertainment for the whole family.)

-Rob

Skonk
02-26-2003, 06:32 AM
hah i love it :) i think the fact that u have this nasty sharp toothed snarling beast doing something silly like that makes it all the more amusing, if it was a more cartoony dino it wouldn't have the same effect.

James..

Gregg "T.Rex"
02-26-2003, 04:38 PM
This Raptor knows his moves..... :)
Great job.....
Regards,
Gregg "T.Rex"