PDA

View Full Version : Untitled Projects

EWallick
03-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Everytime I go to open one of my projects I see lots of Untitled Projects. How can I safely delete these without messing up my named projects? Maybe I should ask what are these and how do they get there since I always name my projects?

John Perkins
03-17-2006, 11:55 PM
When you start a new project, it doesn't have a name yet. If you know that you have named every project that you care about, then you can delete them and their undo/redo folder.

Ivan
03-18-2006, 06:15 AM
Or do what everyone else does and create your own Project folder and save your projects in there. This lets VT create all the Untitled projects it needs to and you can safely ignore them till you decide to go in and delete them all. If you forget to save a project and have a crash, you just go in and reload the Untitled project. I don't suggest not saving because it's not always that easy but it can be done.

Ivan

Ed Wallick
03-18-2006, 09:48 AM
So, is there a way to name a project before you start it so the Untitled "name" does not get created?

Also, is there anyway short of opening all Untitled Projects to identify them?

Thanks,
Ed

John Perkins
03-18-2006, 10:16 AM
No, it will make an untitled when you start a new project.

It is a safety feature. Trust me, it's a fair trade ;)

As long as you always name your projects you shouldn't have to know what those projects are.

You would have to load them to find out what is in them or turn on mouseover previews for projects in Preferences and mouseover them.

Ivan
03-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Although it make the Untitled project no matter what you do have some time before it is actually saved as an Untitled Project. I think about a minute or so. In other words if you open a blank VTEdit and save immediately as the name of your choice every time, no Untitled Projects will be created in your default Project directory.

Ivan

DonN
03-18-2006, 07:33 PM
The Untitled Projects are defaulted to the C:/VT4/Userdata/Administrator/MyProjects/Untitled.VTP
then ... untitled001... etc directory.
If you do an immediate saveas to a folder of your choice when you start a "New" project, then these "Untitled" files are not created. As soon as you do anything on the project before you do your own saveas, then you will get another Untitledxxx file, and they will accumulate as will the associated Untitled[undo,Redo] folders and Newtek.info images.
Deleting that .../MyProjects/ folder does no good. It's recreated by VT as soon as its needed the next time. So learn to live with it.
It is a savior now and then. so I don't fret any more.
Search "Untitled" every so often and flush them out. Don:thumbsup: