PDA

View Full Version : Finally true bezier curves available in LightWave!

Sensei
03-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi!

I would like to show you our the latest Polygon Handler plug-in class for making true bezier curves!

You could download it here
http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/Bezier/Files/Bezier_1_0.zip

Because it's Polygon Handler LightWave v8 is required and v8.5 is highly recommended (tested just on v8.5 and v9.0, not tested on v8.0, 8.2 nor 8.3)..

To install it Add Plug-In, open Edit Menu window and search for Make Bezier and add it right after Create > Curves > Bezier..

Make Bezier tool is not interactive and requires you to select points which will become native bezier curve points.. After using it you should see dashed lines between control points and solid line with bezier curve.. You could modify point positions, add new points or deleting them with any existing or future tool!

WilliamVaughan
03-17-2006, 07:49 PM
You just keep rolling them out dont you....thanx for the freebie!

monfoodoo
03-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Can you give an example of its use? Scott

Sensei
03-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Can you give an example of its use? Scott

Bezier curves will be recognized by EasySpline preview, freeze and the all additional tool-set, and used like they would be traditional curves, giving you ultra smooth objects.. Video showing it in practice is planned for tomorrow or Sunday..

If 3rd party developers are interested it's possible to write SDK that will allow using these curves in their tools instead or additional to traditional curves.. Basically if you're using 3rd party tool that takes curve as one of parameters, inform developer about TrueArt's Bezier asking to contact with us to discuss how to make their tool using new curve type..

If you're interested in using bezier curves in spline modeling click http://easyspline.trueart.pl

moc
03-18-2006, 03:45 AM
this is the new line sample....

mav3rick
03-18-2006, 05:24 AM
we have spline god...... newtek hire him , adopt him, assimilate him, beam him up... do whatever
we need new splines in lw
scott how bout b. splines in layout so we can create precise motion curves, not to mention a real all in 1 solution for spline deforming in layout.. solution we have now in layoout either work with displacements on top( motion mixer) but not with so easy to setup and handle either easy to setup but no MM support

Stooch
03-18-2006, 12:53 PM
do point weights have effect on these?

ACLOBO
03-18-2006, 01:25 PM
how do you use it? I made some points, ran the plug - nothing. I created a regular spline curve, ran the plug nothing..

Could someone enlighten me as to its use?

in reading the intro post. I suspect that you create a polygon shape as a guide for the curve then use the plug on the selected points? I will try this.

-Adrian

Sensei
03-18-2006, 03:36 PM
do point weights have effect on these?

Not yet in this version, but it is planned..

Do you think so that curve shape line should cross control point in 100% weight, and in 0% be like it's now? And what should be done if negative weight is used?

SplineGod
03-18-2006, 06:27 PM
The spline tools in LW havent been updated in a very long time :)

digefxgrp
03-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Do you think so that curve shape line should cross control point in 100% weight, and in 0% be like it's now? And what should be done if negative weight is used?

Yes. It would be nice to have the curve contract towards the control point as your weight gets nearer +100, and at +100 it becomes a sharp corner. For negative values it repels in the opposite (reverse) direction of the given control point. At 0% it's like what you've already done.

labuzz
03-20-2006, 02:45 AM
Freeze the spline is not possible ? That would be cool.

zardoz
03-20-2006, 11:59 AM
it's a nice plugin...but shouldn't bezier curves have those control handles, like in photoshop? and the hability to turn control points from smooth curves to corners and back?

Sensei
03-21-2006, 04:12 AM
it's a nice plugin...but shouldn't bezier curves have those control handles, like in photoshop? and the hability to turn control points from smooth curves to corners and back?

If you enable Points tool and click right mouse button 4 times, you will receive plain Bezier curve.. You might repeat this a few times and get something like this:

http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/Bezier/Graphics/Bezier_Group.png

But if you keep clicking more/less you get B-Spline curve which is seamless connected group of Bezier curves..

http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/Bezier/Graphics/Bezier_Spline.png

This has adventage over groups of Bezier connected by just point, but not curve shapes: B-Spline is much less sharp..

As you can see with TrueArt's Bezier you can have both Bezier and B-Spline curves in the one handy tool :)

zardoz
03-21-2006, 11:14 AM
so...trying to understand what you did I created 4 points and clicked bezier tool, added more 4 points , created a new bezier, etc and welded the end points...
I tought that it could have some handles like what we are used...and maybe right click on the points to change them from smooth to corners...

and of course...like I always ask, add 'snap' pictrix style...

Sensei
03-21-2006, 11:44 AM
so...trying to understand what you did I created 4 points and clicked bezier tool, added more 4 points , created a new bezier, etc and welded the end points...

Correct.. And this is what is available for now in LightWave, but not in true form, as our Bezier..

I tought that it could have some handles like what we are used...and maybe right click on the points to change them from smooth to corners...

But... the all points what are inside TrueArt's Bezier are handle points..

and of course...like I always ask, add 'snap' pictrix style...

Add to where? Bezier.p has nothing to do with editing tools.. You could use any existing or future tools to modify points on curve..

Here is little GIF animation showing native LightWave interactive tool, which because of lack of internal implementation of different kind of curves, must be immediately converted to Catmull-Rom curve.. and in the next frame the same curve, with exactly the same coordinates, matching LightWave curve perfectly..

http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/Bezier/Graphics/Movies/Bezier_1.gif

The difference is number of points making such shape, 33 points in LW native tool, and 7 in our..

Adding different kind of curves in Modeler is very important and quite easy to implement.. The all existing tools that work with curves should be optimized to use this addition to core..

zardoz
03-22-2006, 03:04 AM
ok now I understand everything. Thanks for you time used explaining this to me.

good work.:thumbsup:

ACLOBO
03-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Well, I figured out how to make a curve on my own with this tool, but how does one use that curve? It won't freeze. If you lathe it, it makes a mess. I have not tried to extrude it so, how do you change it from a curve to geometry? OR is this tool meant to adjust existing geometry corners?

-adrian

ACLOBO
03-27-2006, 01:01 PM
So, as I understand it from the postings, this is not a editing tool. It is just a demonstration of how this is now possible in Lightwave. If I am understanding correctly, the only way to use bezier.p is to use it with Easy Spline. Or am I missing something? I have been trying to make and edit geometry using Bezier.p with no luck. Thanks.

-Adrian

Sensei
03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
So, as I understand it from the postings, this is not a editing tool. It is just a demonstration of how this is now possible in Lightwave. If I am understanding correctly, the only way to use bezier.p is to use it with Easy Spline. Or am I missing something? I have been trying to make and edit geometry using Bezier.p with no luck.

That's because EasySpline is now the only one tool that understand new polygon type introduced by Bezier.p.. But with your help new tools will be appearing in the future.. Anything that takes LightWave native curve as argument might be adopted to understand them.. So, if you're Rope Editor customer, or VertiBevel or other 3rd party plug-in that plays with curves please inform their developers about this and we'll make them working in this tool too!

Sensei
03-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Video presenting how to use TrueArt's true Bezier and B-Splines has been moved to 3rd party area and could be found here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48426

ACLOBO
03-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Ok, I understand now that it is a new polygon handler and that tools that use conventional curves can be adapted to use "real" bezier splines like in bezier.p. I was just confused as I thought this was a new plug to adjust and create existing geometry inside of lightwave as it stands now. My mistake. Still, from watching your video, I can see the advantage of this tool and I hope that people will adopt the use of this poly-handler.

-adrian