PDA

View Full Version : How large can my render go?

Johnsongraphix
03-17-2006, 02:17 PM
I need to render billboard size, about twenty feet wide. I have fprime, and also renderfarm software. I'd like to use fprime without spliting up the scene, but I'm running into walls here. Anyone have any suggestions?

Giacomo99
03-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Exactly how big, pixel-wise, are you trying to render? What kind of "walls" are you running into--out-of-memory errors or something more unusual?

Please advise. We can't help you without more specific details.

GM

Stooch
03-17-2006, 03:22 PM
lol its a very intricate process of trying to figure out the largest pixel dimensions you can handle given your ram and segment size, then when you find out whats your maxium, prepare to reduce it even more and then render in tiny slivers using limited region so that you can later put them together, carefully cloning out seams or pixels that diont quite look like the previous render, even though they overlap. once you finish all of that you are pretty much stuck and cant re render because you would have to repeat this process again.

also, get used to nuking EVERYTHING in your system to free up as much ram as you can. oh yeah, you have to do all of this while the viewports in LW are constantly using up your ram with memory leaks.

so basically have fun !

i do alot of this stuff and man is it painful. :twak: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oh yeah get ready for alot of "image creation failed" errors after a long render as it tries to combine the entire image IN RAM THAT YOU DONT HAVE and forces you to re-render with a smaller limited region.

etc. etc.

in other words this is the PERFECT tool for high res prints!

i suggest you invest in a render manager that supports split frames.

Johnsongraphix
03-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I am running two dual g5's I have 4gigs of ramm on one and 5 on the other..
I'm going for 72,000 pixels wide by wide.
I have tried pfrime- gives me a memory error, and only says rendering 16,000 something X the same. I've tried limited region as well, even the smallest little square gives me the same.

I have tried LW render engine, no luck.

I am using Render Commander and rendering into 32 segments and errors for not enough memory for the frame buffers.

AHHH... Anyone? I have 5 processors I could send this too, but it's not working for me,

help

Ryan

BeeVee
03-17-2006, 04:33 PM
LightWave's stated maximum frame size is 16,000 square. Why do you need 72,000? Is it because you are trying to render something 20' square at 300dpi? I can tell you now, that no-one prints anything at that size at 300dpi, if it helps? I have worked on motorway billboards (96') and we went down to 22dpi (and that was still the max of 16,000 pixels).

B

RedBull
03-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah i agree with the above, why would you need 72,000 pixels?
I think you really need to know the exact dimensions and project specs
for final output, before you try anything. As that sounds WAY off..

Johnsongraphix
03-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, sorry about that, the width will be 14,400. 20ft wide with 60ppi. I have printed bigger than that before. Sorry about the confusion, I have had a rough week. Thanks for the help!