PDA

View Full Version : Can SN do per frame split rendering?

Josamoto
03-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi all!

I finally got to setting up Screamernet to work over my wireless network at home. I connected two PC's, my laptop and my dad's PC and actually got the thing to render and pick up two separate CPU's.

My first question is whether Screamernet can take a single frame, say for a still render, and divide it into two sections, for my two render nodes respectively, and simultaneously munch away at rendering them.

Secondly I would like to know what I need to do to get SN to pick up the second CPU on my Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading?

Thanks all! Toodelooooooo!

faulknermano
03-17-2006, 12:19 PM
My first question is whether Screamernet can take a single frame, say for a still render, and divide it into two sections, for my two render nodes respectively, and simultaneously munch away at rendering them.

Secondly I would like to know what I need to do to get SN to pick up the second CPU on my Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading?

Thanks all! Toodelooooooo!

1. no it cant. StealthNet, and render controller for SN could do this. but, unfortunately, StealthNet has been discontinued. i'm hoping NewTek resurrects this app again. from where StealthNet stands, it wont work with 8.x. i think it still works with 7.5 though. i'm not sure which other controller out there can do split frame rendering. what i do know is that D-STORM has a scene divider that will split a scene-frame up so it can be rendered across different renders. havent really tried it, so i dont know how a networked solution applies to that plugin.

2. while SN should pick it up, sometimes i myself experience that SN only uses "one" CPU. if this happens, i just run another SN process using another node number.

Josamoto
03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks man! I'm surfing around on different net renderers at the moment. Let you guys know if I find something promising!

SCS5
03-29-2006, 10:03 AM
I set up a batch file to call out to all the render nodes and run the screamernet batch files on the nodes. You have to map all the drives for the PC's on the network, then use that network path in the batch file on the host PC to call out the render node PC's. For a Dual processor machine you just run two seperate batch files for the same PC.

Luv2Anim8
04-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Mule from epicsoft does a bang-up job with image splitting. You can throw pretty much any size frame at it and it cranks it out. what it does is give you the option to split your frames into any size chunk (splits) you like and sends them to diffent CPUs then recompiles them into an image on the Main computer..the one running Mule.

I use this for my print and HD work....flawless :-)

I hope this helps
peace