PDA

View Full Version : wassup? Newbie on the rise

dgrider
03-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey everybody! I'm dgrider, and this is my first time trying a discussion forum, so I'd like to introduce myself... I'm repping Indianapolis, Indiana, am an aspiring artist, and I have recently made the jump from 2d art to 3d art. I have been using Lightwave since October, 2005, and couldn't be happier about my decision! I'm learning so much from so many different sources, so now I'd like to learn one more thing for today... How do you take modeler images and turn them into posts for this forum? The only format my computer or this site will let me upload is .zip files. How can I upload the other file formats without it saying "invalid image file"? Respond as quickly as possible, because I'd really like to show you my work! Later.

Weetos
03-17-2006, 09:57 AM
For creating snapshots, I use ctrl-alt-PrtScreen (this copies the selected window content as bitmap data) and then I fire up photoshop and paste the image as a new image. There you can choose 'Save for the web' and select the suitable image format. (png , jpg, ... )

Hope that helps :)

Oh and Welcome on this forum btw !

dgrider
03-17-2006, 10:26 AM
For creating snapshots, I use ctrl-alt-PrtScreen (this copies the selected window content as bitmap data) and then I fire up photoshop and paste the image as a new image. There you can choose 'Save for the web' and select the suitable image format. (png , jpg, ... )

Thanx, Weetos, but I don't have photoshop, I have Photoshop elements. But It still worked! thanx a billion!

Weetos
03-17-2006, 11:34 AM
you're welcome :D

Silkrooster
03-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Any image editor will work including Windows Paint. It getting harder to find a image editor that does not support copy/paste and saving as gif or jpg.
Welcome aboard BTW.
Silk

stevecullum
03-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Welcome dgrider - there couldn't be a more friendly and useful forum around.:thumbsup:

DiedonD
03-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Ever since October 2005 huh? Thats the time when I ordered LW. Yes as you can asume, Im a newcomer too. So welcome here, and show us what you did from October till now?

Dexter2999
03-20-2006, 11:19 AM

Actually on any system I have worked on, just push Print Screen (CTL or ALT not neccessary). You can open PAINT which came with Windows and just hit CTL V and it will let you paste it. Depending on the system you may only get BMP as an extentsion. Some systems (including mine) will allow JPEG as an option.
I recommend IRFANVIEW a free download image viewer that even has free cad plug-in viewer to any aspiring 3d artist. It fires up in a fraction of the time of Photoshop. I try to only use Photoshop when I have actual work to do on an image not to just browse or view a file.

Amurrell
04-01-2006, 07:55 PM
From one nOOb to another...Welcome. Most of the people on these forums are awesome and very helpful. I'm sure you'll like dropping in from time to time.

Gettarobox
04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Welcome dgrider - there couldn't be a more friendly and useful forum around.:thumbsup:

That is, unless they decide to just not post when you put stuff up.
I agreed completely with stevecullum up until about 2 months ago. For some reason no one would give me any C&C (even when I stated I was looking for some) so I kind of feel like giving up on the community here. Anyway I guess if they like you it's true, if not, you're on your own.
Welcome to the LW forums.

steamthunk
04-03-2006, 11:52 AM
I do notice that there are fewer comments from people in general on the WIP threads than on CGSociety for instance. Of course, I imagine this to be smaller population.

I've tried to comment when appropriate or if I have something meaningful to say, but frankly I'm so new at this I feel it is hardly in my place to offer critiques. Maybe in another 6 months. :yoda:

Silkrooster
04-03-2006, 05:31 PM
That is, unless they decide to just not post when you put stuff up.
I agreed completely with stevecullum up until about 2 months ago. For some reason no one would give me any C&C (even when I stated I was looking for some) so I kind of feel like giving up on the community here. Anyway I guess if they like you it's true, if not, you're on your own.
Welcome to the LW forums.
Don't give up on the community yet. You will find out that most of us will provide help for you when we can. Don't think you are not welcome. I for one don't always get a chance to look at the wip section. Thats my fault not yours. Sometimes I feel things are being handled just fine by others and then there are times I feel I am not qualified to give answer. But I do know if I can not answer that someone else who is qualified will answer. I have a lot of faith in this community.
Perhaps next time this happens to you, you could make a post in the general discussion forum and mention that no one has replied to your wip.
I for one wish to apologize to you for any inconvience.
Silk

TheDude
04-05-2006, 08:46 AM
I for one don't always get a chance to look at the wip section.
Silk

:agree: I for two don't either.
But when I do I always try to comment if I think I can help. (Like most on the forum I suspect)

TheDude
04-05-2006, 08:47 AM
OK now I feel guilty and I'm going to look at the WIP :o