PDA

View Full Version : First LW Gameart comp!!!

Lamont
03-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Alright, this is the first gameart comp just for Lightwavers!! It must be all Lightwave modeling, no other apps minus a paint program.

One of my favorite cartoons in Teen Titans. So this month you are tasked with making an original character that can fit within the Teen Titans universe!

More info on Teen Titans: http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/titans/index.html
----------------------------------------------------

Here are the specs:

2000 triangles to be used how you see fit (weapons, effects..). But the poly count has to be 2000 tri's or under.

Start a thread with your WIP and show progress.

A single 512x512 texture to be split up any way you want.

A single 128x128 for effects, as for spells/magic, power, glows, beams ect, divided however you want.

Model must be rigged and posed (You will not be judged on the quality of the rig, just pose it!).

No ray-traced images, standard 3-point lighting.

Submission images must be no larger than 800x600.
--------------------------------------------------

Prizes are as follows:

1st Prize - ATV Offroad Fury 3 Jersey and Baseball Cap, Sony Coffee Mug, CD wallet and MLB 06 sports bottle thingie

2nd Prize – ATV Offroad Fury 3 Jersey and Cap

3rd Prize – MLB 06 Cap and MLB sports bottle thingie
--------------------------------------------------

Entries are due April Fools (April 1st) 11pm Pacific time (CA USA). A thread will be created that is for entries only.

Note: The more successful this becomes, the better the prizes.

Good luck!! And I hope to see some entries!! Any questions, post in this thread or PM me.

Lewis
03-17-2006, 06:38 AM
Hmm !

It looks interesting (not my kind of thing but still interesting contest) but i wonder is 2000 traingles "used how you see fit" aslo means that character can be made in SubDs :)? I know SubDs aren't for games but it sure would be smoother character if anyone can do it as SubDs ;).

pauland
03-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Ooh dear - those Teen Titans have changed since I were a lad...

Lamont
03-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Hehehe, no SubD's :)

Also, is there a limit on the "gift" value when something is shipped to Europe? I don't want anyone to have to pay VAT/levy on anything...

Stooch
03-17-2006, 02:24 PM
dont you think game engines can handle a bit more geometry and texture resolution these days?

Lamont
03-17-2006, 02:26 PM
dont you think game engines can handle a bit more geometry and texture resolution these days?Yes, but will the average person here who has other commitments be able to deal with, a 10000 poly character with spec, normal, color and alpha's in the time given?

Also, look at the art style, none of that is needed.

Lamont
03-17-2006, 02:31 PM
If it were a bigger more demanding comp, then the prizes offered have to be as big and cooler than the stuff offered now.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18643

128 polys with a 128x128 for textures. A lot harder since you have to push single pixels around to get something to look right.

Stooch
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
hmm. what if its easier to model a character with more polys? if the limit is say, 5k polygons, no one HAS to make it a 5k polygon character...its up to the artist to come up with a design that he/she deems appopriate given the limit and if they make it look great with less then more power to them.

I also didnt say anything about specular, bumps or reflection maps. Just a bigger texture resolution.

Lamont
03-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Just stay in the specs. Keeps the artwork level. You always want to use as much as you can. And right now all you can use is 2000.

Lewis
03-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi Lamont !

AFAIK there is no taxes to GIFT/Educational material packets in Europe as long as bill isn't inisde of BOX they shouldn't hit any taxes to it ;).

Lamont
03-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi Lamont !

AFAIK there is no taxes to GIFT/Educational material packets in Europe as long as bill isn't inisde of BOX they shouldn't hit any taxes to it ;).Cool, that's really good to know for later comps.

Fozz
03-20-2006, 07:02 AM
And I who never even have seen Teen Titans!

Lamont
03-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Google it, just to get the art style :)