PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to cry!

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 03:38 PM
I just found out that my EDU license wont let me get Vue 5 with my upgrade to Lightwave v9! As soon as I read it I got a sinking feeling in my gut that having an educational license will restrict me from even more cool offers from Newtek. I am disappointed by this restriction, so before I get my hopes up about anything else could someone tell me about more things I can't do?:(

stevecullum
03-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Sell you work for money!

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't think I can even do that!:cry:

stevecullum
03-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Sadly, the educational license allows you only to learn the software. But then you only paid a few hundred dollars!

If you buy the full package you'll get all the extra goodies and you can sell your goods and services for $$$ to help repay the costs.

I paid for my full license withiin one job, so its well worth it!

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 03:58 PM
How much would it cost my little 13-year-old wallet to upgrade to full?

stevecullum
03-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Might be a useful link...

http://shop.newtek.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3

Lito
03-16-2006, 04:05 PM
$395 but you might be able to get it for a little less if spinquad is still running the special they had a little while ago. So you should check here first http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9932

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Can I use the EDU version for a school contest?

stevecullum
03-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Self promotional work shouldn't be an issue and as its for a school compo I don't see any problems with this. (But don't take that as gospel!) If you read your license agreement that came with the software, it should tell you what you can and can't do.

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the help I still want to know the rest of my restrictions...:yoda:

stevecullum
03-16-2006, 04:33 PM
If your having trouble understanding the licencing restrictions, I would ask your tutors at school to explain them for you. They too will have educational versions of software and those should have the same kind of licence as yours.

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I have no instructors, I'm all on my own. I need support from someone because the license says I can't use tech support from Newtek! I am getting mad about this!:cursin:

stevecullum
03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Well, the main restrictions of a EDU licence is that it is for you to learn the software on. This means, that you can't use it for commercial purposes such as charging a client for work you do.

You would be ok to create showreels/demos and enter competitions though.

I'm sure if there is something you were planning to do with it and need specific information, then a notice on these forums wouldn't go unanswered.

Other than that, print of the licence agreement and ask any of your tutors (I assume you do have a tutor of some type at the school, English, Art etc..) to explain things in plain english!

Good luck!

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 05:03 PM
I have absolutely no tutors.

stevecullum
03-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Blimey! Are you saying you don't have any teachers of any kind at your school?
Thats the worst school ever and I would leave and go to a better one!

Seriously though, even if they don't teach LW or know anything about computers, they should still be able to explain a licence document to you.

AbnRanger
03-16-2006, 07:20 PM
The Education license has no restriction except that you agree (upon installing and registering) to not use it for commercial purposes. The deals that come with Commercial licenses is intended to make them more appealing. In total, you actually pay less if you have an ED license and then upgrade to commercial.

At 13, you aren't missing out by having an ED license. You have the same power to create some breathtaking material as professionals do. Follow the tutorials diligently, show your folks how you are progressing, work on some highly detailed models that people would want to buy, and when you have a nice little collection of at least a half dozen or so completed, ask your folks about helping you buy a commercial license so you can sell them. If they see the goods, I'd bet they'd be proud of you and glad to help.

Heck, if E-On Software will allow me to do so, I'd be willing to sell my Education version of Vue 5 Infinite for dirt cheap (I'd have to check and see if they allow transfers of ED licenses first).
Nevertheless, don't fret....you are in a learning stage, and you have all the tools you can handle for the task of learning LW. Trade a coulple of hours of TV for Modeling/ texturing/animation each day, or a few times a week, and by the time you are out of high school, you'll be a :lwicon: Modeling Fiend. Hope this helps. :D

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 07:21 PM
:o I'm sorry I miss understood you...:) (this was for the post before AbnRanger's)

ShawnStovall
03-16-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry I lost my patience, I guess I got ahead of myself, but I still would like to know my restrictions...:)

AbnRanger
03-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Those are the restrictions...plain and simple. When you buy an Education version, you are getting a FULL license of LW...no different in capability to the commercial one. The only differences are that Newtek is selling you a license at a far cheaper rate than a full commercial soley because you both agree that it will be used for non-commercial use.
The bonus deals Like the Vue 5 bundle are aimed specifically at commercial users WHO PAY MORE....therefore they get more. No Education license user should feel cheated. Vue 5 Infinite (commercial seat)costs $600 on it's own! They'd be losing the shirts off their backs, and the remaining contents in their pants pockets, if they offered it to education license owners too.
As long as your Ed license isn't being used to for financial gain, you are free to "Bust a Move" with your copy of LW.:boogiedow