PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Bone Setups for Model and Clothing?

Giacomo99
03-16-2006, 10:19 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~bucket/Sample.jpg

I have a character in a loose robe. I want to use one set of bones for the figure and have the robe use a parallel set of bones (identical but linked to the robe) so that I can adjust the garment separately. The robe's bones need to generally follow the character's bones but be separately adjustable.

How can I do this? Please advise.

GM

(PS. In case you're curious, I first tried doing the robe using ClothFX. I couldn't get it to not explode under any circumstances, so this is my alternate approach.)

Wonderpup
03-16-2006, 10:39 AM
There is a way to do this- I belive you tell the robe 'use bones from' in the bones panel and point it to the figure.

toonafish
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
if you want the bones from the body to influence the robe too but you need the robe to be a seperate object or layer you can just do what Wonderpup suggested.

If you want a seperate set of bones in the robe that should follow the bones in the body and should be animatable on top of that, you could copy the body rig, and replace the body object with the robe object.

You can then delete the bones you don't need, like the hand and finger bones and use follower to make the remaining ones follow just the rotations of the corresponding bones in the body rig. You might want to parent the robe to the bone you use to move the body.

Then you can then add small bones on top of the bones in the robe rig, or simply deactive some and parent a new one to it to fine tune the robe deformations.

hope this helps.

Giacomo99
03-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Toonafish-

Thanks! I did a quick test with the rig and your suggestion seems to be a good one. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will produce the results I need in the end.

GM