PDA

View Full Version : Telkom Jack - 40 second lightwave commercial

Nigel
03-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Telkom Jack (http://www.luma.co.za/lightwave_commercial_download/Telkom_Jack.mpg) - (Save Target As. 360X288, 7MB)

A 5 man team (3 Lightwave ... the good looking ones :D ) had one month to create a fully animated 40 second commercial for our local telecommunications provider.

Following the ageny's character design (a jack plug with eyes :stumped: ), we were required to animate him flying about his constantly changing environment.

Our main body of work was centered around the sets. We wanted to create what looked like one continuous shot, so each set needed to flow seamlessly into the next. Some hectic transitions and camera work were required to achive this effect.

Initially, there was no lipsync to be done on this character, the agency was dead set against any facial animation that included the mouth, but that changed near the end of the project and lipsync was required for the final shot.
Changes were made to the "final" audio once we had delivered the completed the project, which resulted in a rather unflattering ending to the commercial. It was out of our hands though.

Everything in this commercial was done in Lightwave, except the character animation, which was exported from another package. Animation was taken care of by a single animator, who had the daunting task of animating something that was essentially a head with a tail, and avoid making it look like a snake.

We had a bit of fun with this commercial, hiding animators names, dates and birthdays, company logo's etc all over the place.

The Team comprised of:
Nigel Schutte: Character and set modeling, set animation and texturing. Scene and character lighting.
Brendon Goosen: Set modeling, texturing, lighting and animation. Compositing
Jonathan Alenskas: Set modeling, texturing,lighting and animation. Compositing.
Robert Abrie: Additional modeling. Exporting.
Gaving Marais: Character animation

Thanks for looking.
Cheers!

Triple G
03-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Wow...nice job...congrats to all involved! Nice, snappy animation on the main character...and some pretty crafty set transitions too. :thumbsup:

Matt
03-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Hehe! Great ad! Made me smile!

Josamoto
03-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Good work Nigel and team!

Good to know I have some fellow South Africans doing cool 3D stuff! Makes me proud to be South African!

Hey, (kidding) can I come and work for you guys!

Is it possible to get your company web address! I'd love to check it out!

About Telkom, I'm not impressed with them being the most expensive telecomms company in the world.

Did you guys know that they charge 800% more in SA for broadband than in Europe! And they cap your access too! Idiots. Check out www.hellkom.co.za.

Anycase, back to the topic! Excellent work, hoping to see more soon!

Josamoto
03-18-2006, 06:15 AM
Excuse my stupidity! The web address for Luma Studio's: www.luma.co.za

Check it out and see that South Africa ROOOLZ!!!

Kuzey
03-19-2006, 06:44 AM
I don't have the time to view the ad but those stills look super cool!!

It just took me a few seconds to get what the character was :D

Great work,

Kuzey

Kuzey
03-19-2006, 06:46 AM
And I just read the title of the thread after my first post :foreheads

Kuzey

Nigel
03-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Tripple G: Thanks man, will pass that on.
Matt: Good to hear that ... our job is done then :)
Josamoto: Yeah, we had to bit our tongues quite a few times. One of our animators actually had a Hellkom desktop wallpaper for a while during the project. Made for one nervous company director :)
Kuzey: Thanks man ... the still dont quite to it justice, but glad you liked them.

thanks again, cheers

Nigel
03-19-2006, 10:32 PM
www.luma.co.za is still our old website, and has not yet been updated with some of our recent work. If you would like to view two of the previous lightwave commercials I've worked on, you can go here (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9635)

I've been told our new site will be up soon.

jesuoas
04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
*** Edited by Moderators. Message does not apply to this thread. ***

jesuoas
04-11-2006, 12:36 AM
*** Edited by Moderators. Message does not apply to this thread. ***

Extazy
04-11-2006, 06:18 PM
great ad

awesome work!

adrian
04-12-2006, 04:51 AM