PDA

View Full Version : Jay Roth letter - Character Animation

Qslugs
03-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Jay Roth letter - Character Animation:

What character animation improvements can we expect in v9 and when?
For now, we can't provide specifics beyond that we will improve the workflow of rigging and character animation including making these fast and responsive within the GUI, with input from character animators experienced with many rigging and animation toolsets.

So if one were a lightwave user since version 4, and a character animator working in games (with 4 other packages in the past 5 years), where would one contribute serious input outside of this list? I want to make sure Newtek does this right. I am in a position to use Lightwave full time again. I would like to contribute so I can help shape the tools I am using.

Emmanuel
03-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, if NT read these boards, they by now must have an idea of what went wrong and what went right, I guess.
It is just enough to look at how XSI, Character Studio, Maya, messiah, Motion Builder work, spot the problems, and repair what's broken in LW.
Things like 2-click-IK, better IK Booster (for example fixed joints should be fixed completely), of course better performance, easier rigging (copy, paste, mirror etc) and so on.
Its not like character animation is a whole new world.

Kurtis
03-16-2006, 03:24 PM
You are always welcome to make feature requests to [email protected]newtek.com and in LW - Feature Requests (http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27).

hrgiger
03-16-2006, 04:41 PM
If Newtek makes animating characters fast and responsive within the GUI, it will have given me half of what I've wanted with Lightwave.

ercaxus
03-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Things like 2-click-IK, better IK Booster (for example fixed joints should be fixed completely), of course better performance, easier rigging (copy, paste, mirror etc) and so on.
Its not like character animation is a whole new world.
That (especially IKB part) would make me have more hair left on my head when I'm 70 years old and having a full modeler available in layout would prevent my hair from getting all white.

DiedonD
03-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Qslugs - What character animation improvements can we expect in v9 and when?
For now, we can't provide specifics beyond that we will improve the workflow of rigging and character animation including making these fast and responsive within the GUI, with input from character animators experienced with many rigging and animation toolsets.

I think that making faster characters would infuel the process that otherwise seem cold and slow. But of course theres a downside to this. If making characters becomes easy and fast, then everybody could do it. WHich case you could have more competition among pro's meaning less pay.

hrgiger
03-17-2006, 08:09 AM
I think that making faster characters would infuel the process that otherwise seem cold and slow. But of course theres a downside to this. If making characters becomes easy and fast, then everybody could do it. WHich case you could have more competition among pro's meaning less pay.

Uhm, no..

Even if we get to near or even real-time animation, meaning the responsiveness of the GUI during bone deformations and posing, doesn't mean that everyone will be able to animate. Animation is hard, despite the ease and efficiency of the GUI, and is more to do with timing, pose, and motion which are not automatically granted to one who has a fast computer amd/or GUI.

Stooch
03-17-2006, 08:44 AM
You are always welcome to make feature requests to [email protected] and in LW - Feature Requests (http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27).

honestly, im curious, how often do you check the feature request page and what is the priority of those features?

moc
03-17-2006, 10:26 AM
May be NT thought the improvement has done at V8....(add IK booster,layout edit bone tools,bone dynamic...)....

Everything was doing step by step..........step by step.........
So, keep waiting ........until next improvement plans..............
As NT said they will do it at the future..........+ delay a lttle bit.....

hrgiger
03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
honestly, im curious, how often do you check the feature request page and what is the priority of those features?

I think this one has been answered in the past. They said that they do look at all feature requests and they go on some master list (which I assume requires the secret handshake and decoder ring to read it) and then the development teams looks at what can be done and what can't for whatever reason. But I believe the sentiment from Newtek was that they at least entertain each feature request.

DiedonD
03-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Uhm, no..

Even if we get to near or even real-time animation, meaning the responsiveness of the GUI during bone deformations and posing, doesn't mean that everyone will be able to animate. Animation is hard, despite the ease and efficiency of the GUI, and is more to do with timing, pose, and motion which are not automatically granted to one who has a fast computer amd/or GUI.

Pardon, what I meant was modeling characters with faster techniques. You know, just so the character is modeled in a faster way other than step by step slow process, which is currently applied. Thats what I meant, but I can see that it must have been mistinterpreted in a wrong way. My mistake.

And then, if modeling characters in a faster and easier way actually occurs, then its a two edged sword. Its good that we can model it faster, better and easier, but its bad then because anyone could do it, and then comes the competition part and less pay.