PDA

View Full Version : Check out the new LW9 FAQ... VEEEERY interesting!!

lardbros
03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone... have another read of some parts of the LW9 FAQ! Certainly has some stuff on there that get my creative juices flowing.

Anyone want history?? Well, looks like it may be coming sooner than i ever thought (within the LW9 cycle) and instancing in Layout!!! Bloomin' 'eck... this is getting exciting!

Chuck
03-15-2006, 05:20 PM
You should note that the new Q&A about Instancing is under the new topic, Layout....

:)

lardbros
03-15-2006, 05:25 PM
You should note that the new Q&A about Instancing is under the new topic, Layout....

:)

Oh yeah... sorry, was reading it hastily. I'll correct it in my post. So that's history in Layout too then, seems strange... but after thinking about it... the modelling tools are slowly migrating over, so i guess this is good.

Auger
03-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey everyone... have another read of some parts of the LW9 FAQ! Certainly has some stuff on there that get my creative juices flowing.

Anyone want history?? Well, looks like it may be coming sooner than i ever thought (within the LW9 cycle) and instancing in Layout!!! Bloomin' 'eck... this is getting exciting!

Interesting news! I've been dying to have undos for more than just the TRS adjustments in layout. That will be nice especially for the graph editor. :thumbsup:

JML
03-15-2006, 09:52 PM
thanks for pointing that out lardbros,

instancing in LW9.x :tongue:
this is a really great news ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mav3rick
03-16-2006, 01:11 AM
i wouldn't get too excited until i see it.. same thing was for undos and at the end it still doesn't work as it should

BazC
03-16-2006, 02:28 AM
All kinds of interesting info there! I noted "Parametric evaluation" under layout too. I'm not quite sure what that means but if it means tools like X-Frog/parametric modeling will be possible ............ WOOHOO!

colkai
03-16-2006, 02:51 AM

Darn!
:dance: This is all very exciting, we're gonna get true edges, edge weighting, history and instancing? Oh yeah, picture me doin' the happy dance. :D

Bear in mind as well, Newtek keep telling us this list isn't exhaustive, good times, good times. :thumbsup: :lightwave

BazC
03-16-2006, 03:00 AM
Before you get too excited though remember that not all instancing is created equal! Cinema has instancing but it's converted to geometry when it's rendered so it's only advantage is in viewport performance! We want the real thing like you get with HD instance! - Baz

colkai
03-16-2006, 03:48 AM
Aye - true words, true words.
We can but hope for something Like HD with maybe some icing on top? :)

starbase1
03-16-2006, 05:21 AM
I'm really hoping for some much improved handling of large image maps - like the ability to handle them at all! I seem to max out at about 4000x2000, (and that's not when it slows down, but much more andd it dies...)

I know there's infinimap, and I am not knocking that. But it's not a cheapie, and I'm really not happy that LW won't handle big images native.

I want to play with those lovely Next Generation Blue Marble Earth maps from NASA. (The smaller oones are 22000x11000 pixels!)

Nick

JML
03-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Before you get too excited though remember that not all instancing is created equal! Cinema has instancing but it's converted to geometry when it's rendered so it's only advantage is in viewport performance! We want the real thing like you get with HD instance! - Baz

I think that's what they mean by instancing. (like hd_instance)

LW has already instancing, in layout, when you place 10 times the same objects, those are instances of the same lwo file.
(but it will take 10 times the amount of memory of each object.)

so if they talk about instancing, it has to be about real instancing, like hd-instance.
(which will only required the memory of the first instance.

for people not familliar with hd_instance,
if you place 50 000 trees, each 100k polygons, each taking 5 Mb of ram,
those 50 000 treess will take only 5Mb of ram to render.

JML
03-16-2006, 07:05 AM
I'm really hoping for some much improved handling of large image maps - like the ability to handle them at all! I seem to max out at about 4000x2000, (and that's not when it slows down, but much more andd it dies...)
Nick

infinimap looks great but before that, convert your images into 8bit tif/tga.

I had a project with a huge landscape with satellite photos, and I had a lot
of problems..
once I converted the images to 8bit tif, I was able to render..

I did not know infinimap at the time, but if we have another project, I will get
that plugin anyway , to try it.

BazC
03-16-2006, 07:16 AM
LW has already instancing, in layout, when you place 10 times the same objects, those are instances of the same lwo file.
(but it will take 10 times the amount of memory of each object.).

I hope you're right but I think that in LW they are all COPIES not instances? They take up RAM just to be loaded/manipulated in the viewport don't they? Not the same in Cinema, you can load ten copies of the same object or you can load one and create 9 instances. If you scale the original all the others scale too. They don't use any RAM (or hardly any!) once you press the render button though they're converted to real geometry.

colkai
03-16-2006, 07:19 AM
I hope you're right but I think that in LW they are all COPIES not instances? They take up RAM just to be loaded/manipulated in the viewport don't they?
Yeah, that's what I think he meant, that hopefully, the LW9 Instances will be "pure" instances, behaving like HD-Instance.

Of course, I'm only human so I'd like them to take it further, after all, greed is good apparently. ;)

dballesg
03-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Umm,

I am thinking if they are real instances, they must support animation too! :) For example animate the leaves of a tree on one and you have animated all the copies of that tree! :)

Best regards,
David

BazC
03-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Umm,

I am thinking if they are real instances, they must support animation too! :) For example animate the leaves of a tree on one and you have animated all the copies of that tree! :)

Best regards,
David

That would be VERY cool!

hrgiger
03-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Umm,

Best regards,
David

Yes. As long as you could provide an offset so that all of the instances did not move in the same way over the same course of frames...

RedBull
03-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I think that's what they mean by instancing. (like hd_instance)

(but it will take 10 times the amount of memory of each object.)

so if they talk about instancing, it has to be about real instancing, like hd-instance.(which will only required the memory of the first instance.

LW doesn't have instancing, it has cloning, clonging shares memory, instances do not... Yes LW currently has FXLinker which is the closeset thing to instancing in LW. But as far as i'm aware, LW has no geometry instancing features (ala HD-Instance or Shave) in LW9.

But it is a good thing to see i t on the 9.x feature list, sounds great...

But let's not get too excited...

lardbros
03-16-2006, 01:13 PM
LW doesn't have instancing, it has cloning, clonging shares memory, instances do not... Yes LW currently has FXLinker which is the closeset thing to instancing in LW. But as far as i'm aware, LW has no geometry instancing features (ala HD-Instance or Shave) in LW9.

Well i never knew that FX-linker was different to cloning! Learn something every day. (I always thought it was just cloning but using particles as the point of clone and pivot.)

Emmanuel
03-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Where do You guys read about "history in Layout" ?

Auger
03-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Where do You guys read about "history in Layout" ?

From the FAQ:

Layout:

Will LightWave v9 have instancing?
Instancing will be added in a later update in the v9.x cycle. We'll be making the core changes that will allow us to provide instancing immediately as our first effort after the release of v9.0. These same changes to the core operation of LightWave will fix a number of long-standing issues in the code and provide the basis for a complete change in the workflow of the application, including a variety of other long-requested capabilities such as history, parametric evaluation, scene graph and more. :hat:

Emmanuel
03-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Thank You !

JML
03-16-2006, 05:33 PM

I think we are saying the same thing just different word.

LW has 'instancing', if you change an object, all instances in the layout updates. (but it shares memory)
so like cinema.

LW doesn't have 'true' instancing, which would not 'share' memory
(like HD_instance)