PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent VT4.6c from recreating user folder?

tmon
03-15-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't save stuff into the user directory (-ies) that VT keeps recreating. I know this has come up before, but I am going to ask again: How do you prevent VT from creating/recreating the user folder?

Or can you?

ScorpioProd
03-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Not sure what you mean... Once you delete them once they are gone unless you reinstall the VT.

Jim Capillo
03-16-2006, 05:11 AM
Are you talking about the CG? In the edit, I usually make a client folder which makes identifying and storing files easy.

Ivan
03-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Because of the Auto Save feature it may be worse to not have these folders than to just ignore them. All Untitled projects get saved in the Project folder that is auto created. They would go somewhere else or cause an eror if that folder did not exist. Having them go to that folder has saved many users from starting a project over when VT crashed after a couple hours of work and they never saved the initial project.

Ivan

ScorpioProd
03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
I thought the original poster meant the directory tree that is created on your media drive when you install VT... IF so, you can safely delete those. The default unsaved projects folder is automatically created as needed in the VT4 folder itself. That one you leave. Just empty it occassionally.

Ivan
03-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Where in the VT4 folder is it? Mine is created on my Video drive and I just checked, the Untitled projects all get saved there. Nothi9ng at all in my VT4 folder.

Ivan

ScorpioProd
03-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Hmmh... Ah, I'll have to take a look later... I just know that mine get saved there... The first thing I do after an install is delete the folder tree that it creates on my video array...

tmon
03-17-2006, 05:05 PM
It gets created and re-created here:

C:\VT4\User Data

ScorpioProd
03-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Good, there you go, so it doesn't need the directory tree that is created on your media drive.

tmon
03-17-2006, 09:43 PM
The minor irritation isn't so much as that folder can't be deleted (though that IS irritation) so much as every FIRST time I attempt to perform a "SAVE-AS" on a given project, VT defaults to this directory that I never wanted to have created/recreated in the first place. If I'm working on a project that has already been saved to a custom, previously targeted directory, all is fine.

In other words, I'd love to be able to ignore the default VT-created directory, but VT 4.6c doesn't want to allow me to do so. Again, not the biggest problem in the world, by any means, but you get the picture.

ScorpioProd
03-17-2006, 10:15 PM
But I'm not sure why you would want to delete that folder... It needs a default place to put stuff before you name a project... Anything inside the VT4 folder is out of the way, not like the directory tree it sticks on the media drive, which you can delete. :)

Ivan
03-18-2006, 06:20 AM
I agree, it would be nice if we could once again name our own directories. I have the tabs at the bottom set so it isn't that big of a deal. The only problem with being able to set our own default directories is that VT would create all the Untitled projects there. It would be nice if all Untitled projects would go to thier own directory and we could set up our own but I'm sure that's not anywhere near the top of the development list.

Ivan

DonN
03-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Agreed it is a minor annoyance.
But,
every VT user is annoyed by this wacky and totally useless default
probably every day of their edit life.
Cleaning up that deeply buried and obscured folder is a constant pain in the arse. Howabout a button in the VT Utilities menu, "Purge Untitled files"
Make a Filebin tab to your root VTEditProjects folder.
That helps a lot to salve that particular irritation.
Don

tmon
03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
BTW, the minor annoyance comes up as the default with batch capture as well (twice per instance). I suppose I can create a default BC file with slightly better target directories.....