PDA

View Full Version : Win2K+servicepack3+LW

mix
05-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi All,
Iv come across a big problem, For seamingly no reason at all, Windows brought up this error message, (Windows is unable to read some files from servicepack3, please insert disk and reinstall servicepack3).
I didn't have the disk on hand, so I just Uninstalled servicepack3 and carried on as usual to find the Lightwave errored and would not start up, I reinstalled Lightwave, that wen't fine, and installed the 7.5 update and found that it would work for a short while and then for no reason would error on startup, Iv already downloaded the 7.5 update again to rule out the patch being the problem.
Iconpacker also works for a short while and then errors on startup.
Iv even gone to the point of reformating & reinstalling the OS, directx8, graphicscard drivers aswell as installing servicepack2 and come up against the same problem.
Funny thing is it seems to be only Lightwave and Iconpacker that is giving me a hard time.
The rest of my apps seem to be fine, well so far any way.
I am also getting an error now and again when shutting down my PC, which never use to happen.

My version of win2K in an upgrade from an NT disk, the first time I installed win2K on my new harddrive halfway through the installation prosses I am asked to insert the NT disk and then after it does its thing, I reinsert the win2K disk, Now when I want to reinstall win2K including formating of the drive, Im not asked to put in the NT disk, win2K will just install.
So how can I get my hard drive absolutly wiped to the point were Im asked to insert the NT disk half way through the OS insallation prosses, like when the drive was new.

Thanks PC Gurus.:confused:

Stewpot
05-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Hi mix,

My Win 2K was an upgrade from win98, and I have found on at least 2 systems, (the last one I built about 9 months ago), I was not asked to insert the Win98 disk. I think this is a bonus. (I think it may be related to booting from the CD rom(?)). In all that time I have only had to make one repair using the cd, which went ok.

I have service pack 3 installed for all of the last 9months without any problems with LW 7.5.

To really wipe your disk then you probably need thrid party software which does this. Good software will write'Xs' to the disk thus overwriting all information stored. Whereas, quite often formatting, (especially quick formatting only erases the directory structure leaving the information still available on the disk).

Alternatively, if you have any dos disk about, start from floppy with one of these and use the format command. This will format the disk in basic dos mode. Reinstall Win2k booting from the CD rom and reformat in HTFS. If that doesn't erase any traces I don't know what to suggest.

mix
05-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Thankyou Stewpot,
Ill give it a try.:D

jimble
05-20-2003, 10:29 PM
i didnít realise that a disk wasnít completely cleaned by formatting, this may explain a few things. do you know the names of any third party software?

mix
05-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Is a Dos disk made in the same way a boot disk is made?
If not, how can I make one?.
Thanks.

-EsHrA-
05-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by mix
Is a Dos disk made in the same way a boot disk is made?
If not, how can I make one?.
Thanks.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Cheers,

-EsH-

Stewpot
05-21-2003, 11:34 AM
In referring to a DOS disk I actually had in mind set of DOS disks, the first of which will load DOS into memory giving access to some tools like the format command.

I suppose a boot disk will do the same job, (I'm no expert), as long as if you do want to format your hard drive, it contains the format command/program.

But be sure it also includes CD rom drivers if your machine does not boot from the CD rom drive, or you have a Windows version disk which is not bootable. Since you might have problems reloading windows without access to the CD rom.

Not all boot disks have CD rom drivers included, so check it out before doing anything. The link above is a good place to start looking for a fully functioning boot disk.

I have made boot disks within windows which have not included CD rom drivers - beware.

mix
05-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks Heaps -EsHrA-:D