PDA

View Full Version : Quadro 4 980 XGL VS Geforce4

Gouac
05-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Someone from Newtek europe told me that the Geforce4 was helping the processor compress/decompress the software codecs with directx when playing in TED.

I want to buy a Quadro 4 980 XGL for my VT2(3) system.
does it work the same????

Ryan
06-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Though I dont really know for sure. I would be very supprised if a quadro performed any better that a GeForce of the same generation. If I am correct the video card cant be used to generate data that the rest of the computer can use. It can only reduce the amount of CPU your Toaster Vision uses because it does some of the display work in hardware.

The one exeption is nVidias new FX line of video cards. But since maya 5 is the only program that currently supports hardware rendering It doesnt help the rest of us much.

Yet....

Image quality is another story. I do believe that the Quadro's have better image quality. I went from a Quadro 2 ex to a GeForce4 Ti4200 and I noticed a hit in how sharp and colorful the display is. (I was happy to trade for dual monitors though)

But if you want that, Go for the Quadro4 380 or whatever the number is.
Maybe even the Quadro4 NVS 200 or the like.. They may even have better image quality for all I know.

Ryan

Admitting Ignorance is Prerequisite for Gaining Knowledge.

Ryan
06-03-2003, 05:52 PM
I just noticed that you actually said this:

"I want to buy a Quadro 4 980 XGL for my
VT2(3) system. does it work the same???? "

Yes, im sure it would work the same. The major differances in the cards are in 3D features, clock rate, and drivers. Not much to do with video.

Though I would be suprised if it was faster, I would be shocked if it was slower.

So are you going to use this for a 3D app too? like lightwave? :D

Ryan

Admitting Ignorance is Prerequisite for Gaining Knowledge.

Gouac
06-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Yes.
I bought it already and the results are mind boggling.
opengl under lightwave is faster than all I could imagine.
=)