PDA

View Full Version : Spline modeling fixing car with EasySpline video #5

Sensei
03-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi!

Today we would like you to present video with ultra fast EasySpline v0.7 alpha which is used to fix model of car made in traditional spline modeling technique, which needs to be patched by hand by LightWave's Patch command, to work better in EasySpline real-time environment..

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Movies/EasySpline_5.mov

Car model has been made by Robert Wilson from www.UnCommonGrafx.com and has 65 splines..

On the video you could see that EasySpline Polygon Handler and VirtualMirror v2.0 are started as soon as object is loaded to Modeler, and they remain in memory constantly parallel patching splines after each operation and mirroring model without delays..

When they're working, I'm deleting unnecessary loop of splines which looks bad (this step removes also patches, because of lack of one spline that was used by quad patch) and merging polygons (this bring them automatically back, patches are delimetered by four splines connected in start and end points). There's no necessary additional manual patching, EasySpline takes care about everything in background, without having you to do anything special to patch them..

If you're interested in pre-ordering and participating in beta-testing program please click and following ordering instruction http://easyspline.trueart.pl

For more informations about VirtualMirror v2.0 (this tool is in full version) please click here:
http://virtualmirror.trueart.pl

Lewis
03-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi !

I watched Video and i have few questions :).

1. No Audio again ? It's hard to see and recognize what you are doing (or man who is making video) since potential buyers didn't use tool and audio would help tremendeously here.

2. Why not start from Scratch and not from already premade splines ? Afterall tool is called "Easy SPLINE" and you aren't making slines with it ? Just adjusting already premade splines/patches ?

3. Is there option that plugin DON'T patch complete car automatically ? I see car was patched instantlly when tool was activated and with car patching (not just cars of course) you really don't need always 5*5 or 10*10 patches. This way you are endup in automatic patch which can be usefull sometime (with simpler objects/spline cage) but i'd like to have Button/check box to patch and not patch automatically :). Maybe that is already possible ? SO to patch only when i want or only SELECTED splines maybe ?

4. Is this working with SubPatches/SubDs (TAB) activated ?

5. Is Merge spline/polgon working by LWs native tool/shortcut or you do it by some of plugin tools (i didn't undertood this thing completely from video - sorry)?

6. What car is that :). Looks ugly ;).

7. Is there and ETA when this tool is comming ? Will there be DEMO or Trial or whatever to try out this tool before buying ? I'm interested 'coz it really looks nice but i still need to make splines manually but big bonus is to be able to deform patches with splines shape if needed :).

P.S. Is registration tied to Dongle or it's own serial number (i don't like plugins tied to dongle 'coz then if dongle fails/broke you are in even bigger problems 'coz all plugins will stop to work after you get replacement dongle with different serial number)

thanks

UnCommonGrafx
03-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Be nice, Lewis!

;)

Sensei
03-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I watched Video and i have few questions :).

Good! I've almost come to conclusion that people from NewTek forums are just pre-ordering it without asking any questions (at least today ;) )..

1. No Audio again ? It's hard to see and recognize what you are doing (or man who is making video) since potential buyers didn't use tool and audio would help tremendeously here.

I told you before that Proton will be asked to make videos when EasySpline v1.0 will come out.. I can't make by myself videos with voice.. I just don't speak English..

2. Why not start from Scratch and not from already premade splines ? Afterall tool is called "Easy SPLINE" and you aren't making slines with it ? Just adjusting already premade splines/patches ?

This #5 video is the first one where I am not making spline cage but loading something that EasySpline client shared with people on SpinQuad forums for free (you could find attachment with ZIP archive in 3rd party section)..

And I am making spline with it using Build Spline on the top of car, to get better polygon flow.. Original spline cage was made for standard LightWave..

3. Is there option that plugin DON'T patch complete car automatically ?

That's easy, Polygon Handler doesn't patch (it's just visual effect! Like with Sub-Patches) if points are not merged.. Unwelding the all points would hide the all spline patches..

To convert this visual effect you should at the end of work call one of interactive Freeze Spline, non-interactive Quick Freeze Spline or Toggle Freeze Spline.. They were presented on older videos in the last month.. If I recall correctly it was you who asked me that I am hitting short-cut key to which Toggle Freeze Spline was assigned, right?

The difference between Polygon Handler previewing spline cages and true geometry previewing/using is that the first runs 10 times faster and doesn't need any short-cuts to operate in real-time.. You just have to play with splines, the rest is up to EasySpline to display how it'll look like after freezing..

I see car was patched instantlly when tool was activated and with car patching (not just cars of course) you really don't need always 5*5 or 10*10 patches. This way you are endup in automatic patch which can be usefull sometime (with simpler objects/spline cage) but i'd like to have Button/check box to patch and not patch automatically :). Maybe that is already possible ? SO to patch only when i want or only SELECTED splines maybe ?

Just hit F2 or other short-cut to which EasySpline Polygon Handler previewer is assigned and spline patches will disappear.. Another F2 and they will be back..

4. Is this working with SubPatches/SubDs (TAB) activated ?

Of course. EasySpline polygon handler previewer does not care about anything else than polygons with type curve and having more or equal to 2 points..

5. Is Merge spline/polgon working by LWs native tool/shortcut or you do it by some of plugin tools (i didn't undertood this thing completely from video - sorry)?

On that video I used standard Unify Polys (shift+i), but with v1.0 it won't be needed, Extrude Spline and the rest of additional tools will merge points and polygons without worrying user..

6. What car is that :). Looks ugly ;).

Hey! That's not mine but EasySpline client given for free for people to play with something, and is in fact not finished, that's why I started playing with it to fix it a bit in this video.. ;)

If you have better give me them, maybe they will be in the next videos!

7. Is there and ETA when this tool is comming ?

That depends on when LightWave v9 will be released.. ;)
But people that pre-ordered or pre-order it now don't care when it's released because they're playing with it and talking about it on forums already..

Will there be DEMO or Trial or whatever to try out this tool before buying ?

Rather not.. The last time EasySplit v2.0 demo was turned to crappy but working pirated copy..

I'm interested 'coz it really looks nice but i still need to make splines manually but big bonus is to be able to deform patches with splines shape if needed :).

If you don't want to make splines manually you could use Make Spline tool on low-res polygonal model, or Extrude Spline on single or multiple splines at once, making a huge group of splines in one command.. Then just one click per each spline to give them 3rd dimension and voila..

P.S. Is registration tied to Dongle or it's own serial number (i don't like plugins tied to dongle 'coz then if dongle fails/broke you are in even bigger problems 'coz all plugins will stop to work after you get replacement dongle with different serial number)

The all TrueArt's plug-ins are attached to dongle.. Otherwise there would be no control over how many copies is used by single person, and company would buy single copy running on every machine..

That's strange what you're telling.. You're worrying about breaking dongle in advance..

So far I had to just 1 or 2 times to re-assign dongle when user came with info from NewTek that he get dongle replacement..

That's kinda funny.. People that never ever was playing with spline modeling, and are asking me how to make curves, or what to do to make patches, purchased EasySpline without questions or doubts, but spline model gods that play with them every day, are so used to old way that they don't want to try to change workflow and improve it.. ;)

Lewis
03-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Be nice, Lewis!

;)

Heheheh, just don't tell me that you actually drive that car in real life :). Then I'd be worried ;).

Lewis
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Ok Sensei i have more answers now and thanks for that :). I'm not happy with all of them (i don't like dongle thing vs serial and i don't like you won't have demo/trial version) but i understand your worry.

About peopel who didn't use splines, I knwo what are they doing and why they now like to play with splines (from videos i saw so far) but i saw many guys who like new toys but on other hand they use it for short period of time and then forget (not all of course). I work on daily basis with splines so that's why i wanted to know all those things before making any decisions to buy or not to buy (another problem for me is that this still is alpha/beta and not final product) :).

As far as spline cage goes i DO have one "spare" Spline cage of car i never had time to finish (personal project). It's Aston Martin DB9 :). So if you are interested i can send you that spline cage and Screen Grab from modeler how it looks (should look) after manually patching (some shapes require different way of patching due round shape). I come to part where I finsihed main shape and started to cut parts but never had more time to finish whole car. Pitty 'coz it's pretty car :).

I won't bother you more now i just need to see proton videos and then i'll see is this suitable for my workflow.

thanks.

Sensei
03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
As far as spline cage goes i DO have one "spare" Spline cage of car i never had time to finish (personal project). It's Aston Martin DB9 :). So if you are interested i can send you that spline cage and Screen Grab from modeler how it looks (should look) after manually patching (some shapes require different way of patching due round shape). I come to part where I finsihed main shape and started to cut parts but never had more time to finish whole car. Pitty 'coz it's pretty car :).

Can I see it? That would be cool!
Could you attach it to message on this forum, so other people that pre-ordered could play with it?

I won't bother you more now i just need to see proton videos and then i'll see is this suitable for my workflow.

Proton is not type of guy who makes video tutorials making something constructive from A to B.. He is rather making demos what you could do, what options you have etc. But without real-life usage, like this fixing car spline cage..

lesterfoster
03-14-2006, 08:43 PM
This looks like a fantastic plug-in to me. As well as your EasySplit plug-in. I really like the instant update of the spline patches. I am interested in seeing what SplineGOD has to say about this plug-in.

I agree with all of Lewis's questions. But I have one extra to ask. What about all of the VT customers who have LW. I had to buy a extra copy of LW with a dongle, just to use all of the extra plug-in's.

Lewis
03-16-2006, 03:20 AM
I'll post my SPLINE cage here when i get home (sorry i didn't reply sooner but i didn't get notification from NT server which is weird 'coz usually i do get them ??)

Lewis
03-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi !

Here is my Spline cage of Aston Martin DB9. I didn't have time to finsih model but I'm posting screen grab of model current state so you can see how it should be patched so you can better test that in Easy Spline. Since it's not like car you've been using in demo #5 where all patches easily meet other ones sicne car lines are pretty straight this one should be more complicated.

cheers

Sensei
03-17-2006, 05:11 AM
Here is my Spline cage of Aston Martin DB9. I didn't have time to finsih model but I'm posting screen grab of model current state so you can see how it should be patched so you can better test that in Easy Spline. Since it's not like car you've been using in demo #5 where all patches easily meet other ones sicne car lines are pretty straight this one should be more complicated.

Awesome model! Thank you!
That's pitty that you have not finished it yet!

righteous
03-17-2006, 05:50 AM
****, I must be a serious rookie at splines becasue I cant even patch that thing up. How do you go about patching around the headlights etc. I didnt think you could patch and area with more than 4 splines.

I would love someone to show how to patch that sucker, it seems a really good chance to learn something new. What spline do I select in what order?

I just keep getting splines cruves do not share blah blah.

If its a long and complicated process, dont worry about it, ill just learn in my own time :D

Lewis
03-17-2006, 05:53 AM
No problem, let me knwo how it turned out wiht easy spline :)

Yes It's pitty that I never had time to finish it since i have pretty good resource photos of car.

Lewis
03-17-2006, 06:04 AM
Hi righteous !

some areas will need few small two point splines just to close spline patch areas where you need 4 splines to patch. This spline cage is just complete coverage of car blueprints and when you start to patch you usually end up with adding few small splines to connect certian areas. I didn't made those 'coz i call them "temp splines" which you/me make by selecting two or three alreay exzisting points on current spline cage. You can patch only 4 and 3 splines at once (3 only if is really needed and in all other situations i'd suggest to go with 4). So you are right when you say that few aras around car headlights can't be patched instantly but it's easy to fix in process :).

righteous
03-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Oh, thanks for your reply lewis. Im very glad that you did reply, saves me some headaches.

I am relatively new to splines and thought but thought I had a good grasp of concepts, but when I saw your spline cage and then the patched version, I couldnt really wrap my head around it.

Seems im not as crazy as I thought I was :D

While im at it, is that usually a good way to go about it? Follow the main curves from the blue prints and then add the neccesary splines to make quads? I have attempted a car before, but got a little confused as to where I should lay the rest of my splines.

UnCommonGrafx
03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Lewis,
I've always wanted to look at one of your spline setups. :) Thanks!

When I grow up, I want to be able to make pretty cars like you do. ;_)

colkai
03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Ahh, we ALL want to make pretty cars like Lewis, the guy's a bone-fide guru. :D

Lewis
03-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Heheh guys, thanks for nice words but it's all about practice and when you complete as many cars as i did you get some routine and it looks easy to do splines :).

righteous - you are right, IMHO best way is to outline all Blueprint lines you see and then just close some areas to get 4 splines patchable area. No real secret or right way how to do it 'coz for some cars it's pretty easy (just few ot them to keep proper polygon flow after patching) while on others it needs more of "temp" splines.

Just look at your desired car before you patch it to see where you will need mor epolygons for various insets and then decide where to start. I usually like to determine how many rows of polys i'll need by most problematic area so that later i don't have problems when i need to add door nab, gas tank or similar insets to body and in same time you want to keep polygon count at minimal possible since it's subDs so no need for 10*10 patches or so.

righteous
03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Great, thanks lewis :)

Sensei
03-18-2006, 07:58 PM

Could you make these temporary 2 point splines where they should be?

It started working with EasySpline... :)

Lewis
03-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi Sensei !

I really don't have time now to do that but it shouldn't be a problem for you or anyone to do that. Just select 2 or 3 points where you need to "bridge" gap to construct 4 splines patchable area and hit make open spline. Isn't it possible to make any splines with "easySpline" tool ? I'm doing some other projects so i don't have time for checking all areas where it might be needed to add temp splines but since you are trying to patch that you will easily findout what areas can't be patched nativelly and just add spline (ctrl+p).

Sensei
03-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Since today EasySpline preview & freeze spline tools officially don't need short curves which connect in just one central point and could work with curves that crosses many patches.. You could merge curve used in one patch with other curves in the same loop used for other patches and get very smooth object surface..

On the video you could see EasySpline customer Tim Cameron's spline model patched in real-time:
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Movies/Tim_Cameron's_Blue_Sportscar_1.rar (1.5 MB, packed QuickTime)
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Movies/Tim_Cameron's_Blue_Sportscar_1.mov (3 MB, please click Save Link As..)

I encourage you to visit Tim's gallery with awesome spline models of cars, bi-cycles and other vehicles http://www.timcamerondesign.com.au
I believe you will find something appropriate for your desktop background there..

http://www.timcamerondesign.com.au/TCDGraphics/bluecar.jpg

Lewis
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi !

Yes i know about Tim's site. There is some great concepts on his site but i don't use backgrounds (too much RAM vaste :) :).