PDA

View Full Version : adding some snap to the add point tool.

Stooch
03-13-2006, 04:23 PM
The create point tool is a pretty straightforward one. you click and drag, right click to add more points. Problem is placing the points in 3D space.

Why not add snap options in the numeric panel? Snap to say, edge, points, face, etc. And maybe even a check box that would "integrate" with the element that is currently being snapped on. for example, if you snap to an edge, the point is added to the edge and intersects it. If you add it to a face it will appear on the surface and an edge is created between it and the nearest co-planar point. so this way you can just start literally cutting through your modeling. Great way to take advantage of nGons or saving a tremendous amount of time with solid modeling.

zardoz
03-14-2006, 02:46 AM
oh yeah...I've been asking for stuff like that...snap for everything...not only add points, but everyhting...knife, mirror, lathe, etc...

Stooch
03-14-2006, 07:33 AM
yeah like a checkbox somewhere on the menu, maybe next to the widgets on top of view ports, you know where you can choose draw mode. Have little icons that snap to points, edges or faces. so each viewport can have its own, independent snap options.

anim8erWP
03-16-2006, 08:10 AM
I agree with the use of snaps. There is another system of "snapping" that is used in Microstation called Tenative. You use the middle button to initiate finding a snapable location. You repeat the Tenative untill the snap location you want highlights. Then you accept it. This system is useful in crowded locatons where there are many possible snap locations.

I would like to add, that the "add point" tool should also add the same point to the polygon that shares the common verticies. I would like to see something similar with the subdivide command. For instance. You want to subdivide a group of polygons, the adjoining polygons get a common point added to them as well.