PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Lightwavin' Machine

pilgrimtoad
02-16-2003, 09:33 PM
I don't know if this has been addressed before in the older forum now, alas, deceased, but I am going to buy a computer (laptop) explicitly for using Lightwave on (I think that's the correct grammar) and was wondering what the ideal, salivation inducing, instantaneous rendering dream system would be. And if I can't afford that where should I look most closely and spend more money on: RAM, proccesing power, etc.? Which OS, Mac or PC (no partisan bickering please :) ) is best, and, if some would reccomend PC, which brand, if any, would be the best to go with. I'd really appreciate any and all advice on this subject. Thanks a lot!

pilgrimtoad
02-16-2003, 09:46 PM
ok. i found the other forum (should have looked around a little more thoroughly before i posted my last post) and found a thread with a title somthing along the lines of "dream lightwave computer" which sounded vaguely familiar, and the folks there seem to advocate a:

AMD Athlon chip over a Pentium (Mac options not even mentioned)
Craploads of RAM, in the 512-1024 range(DDR)
and onboard Video Card 64-128mb

unfortunately i have to (yes, have to) get a laptop and they seem to be pretty strictly of the Pentium variety, video card typically unupgradable.... any opinions?

mattclary
02-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Nowadays, you will get faster renders with a Pentium 4, however if price is an issue, go with an AMD. You state you have to have a laptop, but obviously, you can get more bang/buck in a desktop. Get the most RAM and processor you can afford. I'm not sure what's available in video cards for laptops, but I prefer Nvidia personally. Geforce 4 TI something, not an MX.

joschy
02-17-2003, 09:49 AM
check this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/

there also application benchmarks with LW.

Look for the P4 3,06 MHz.

There you can see that the code optimization for LW is well done, no chance for AMD...

pilgrimtoad
02-17-2003, 09:36 PM
thanks for the responses, and the link. very helpful stuff!