PDA

View Full Version : General TV question

4mn
03-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey, I was looking for a forum for tv broadcasting, and had no luck, maybe you could answer my question.
Say you have a tv show with a network, how do you give them the segments (what format)
If anyone is knowledgeable in this area, I also need to know what type of camers reality tv shows are using.
If this isnt the right place to get an answer for that, please point me in the right direction:thumbsup:
thank a lot!

tfrank
03-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Ideally we like delivery through satellite. That way we can record the signal on what ever format we desire, especially if its play-out time is several days away. The show is then ingested into our server, segmented for breaks, then played out at the appropriate time through our automation system. If someone decides to provide the show on tape, we currently prefer BetaSP, as that is the deck hooked up to our ingest box. Any other formats that we have in-house, including DVCpro, MiniDV, disk formats, whatever...have to be dubbed to BetaSP first. It's a real pain. I would love to just take a file of the product and "drop and drag" it into our play-out server. I know it sounds easy, but it isn't due to a multitude of formats and other software issues. I would suggest that you call the stations to find out what they want for a distribution format. As far as the camera question...I've seen everything from high end broadcast digital formats to $400. DV cameras used.

4mn
03-13-2006, 02:31 PM
This information is so much appreciate and needed. What is the highest end non-shoulder camera, besides hdv and what is a good price to pay for it. I heard the sony hu1's are used a lot.
Thank you so much!
-dave

tfrank
03-13-2006, 03:48 PM
What is the highest end non-shoulder camera, besides hdv and what is a good price to pay for it. I heard the sony hu1's are used a lot.
Thank you so much!
-dave

This has a lot of "Ford vrs. Chevy vrs. Dodge" about it. If you want an "off the shoulder" camera, I need to bow out of the discussion. Personally, I wouldn't buy one because of the stability inherent of a shoulder mounted camera. I've only used two "off the shoulder cameras". I used a cheap consumer Canon DV camera on a shoot following soldiers going through desert training before they left for Iraq. I picked it because of the amount of optical zoom and the fact that the camera would be destroyed eventually because of the dirt and heat and I didn't want to haul around my BetaSP. It really worked out great for what I needed and allowed me to get into some tight spaces. It depends on what you are shooting and the style involved. Hopefully someone else will enter into this discussion that has more of a background in what you are looking for.

4mn
03-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Yah I would prefer a shoulder mount camera also, but we are doing shooting similar to jumping in and out of cop cars, and the hand held cameras are a little less profile. We did a demo for a show with a canon gl2, its a great little camera but the quality just isn't that of what we are looking for if we end up broadcasting the show.
Thanks again

wvp
03-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Yah I would prefer a shoulder mount camera also, but we are doing shooting similar to jumping in and out of cop cars, and the hand held cameras are a little less profile. We did a demo for a show with a canon gl2, its a great little camera but the quality just isn't that of what we are looking for if we end up broadcasting the show.
Thanks again
You should ask yourself how important manual controls (i.e. focus & iris) are. If you need these, then look at models that make this as easy as possible. Most "mini" cams make this difficult to do while shooting (I hate those damm little wheels!)
If you can, make the trip to Vegas for NAB & check all of them out in one place:D

JReble
03-14-2006, 06:49 AM
Can't go wrong with a Sony PD-170. They are used a ton in professional applications. David Lynch sp? used the PD-150 and 170 for several commercials and a couple movies specifically for their discreet design. They also meet the necessary specs and can be configured for full auto or manual use. I've read more articles than I can remember about them being used where more traditional full size cams would have been used in the past.

ScorpioProd
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Gotta agree on the manual controls issue. Speaking as a long time VX-1000 and shorter time Z1 user, the little cameras without real lenses SUCK for accurate and efficient manual control.

None of them can touch what I can do with a real lens on my DSR-300A.

And that's the thing, higher quality imaging, like HDV, means NOTHING if you aren't able control your shots as precise and accurately as you need to.

Check out the new Sony XDCAM HD at NAB, that's what I'm expecting to be getting.