PDA

View Full Version : Advice on DVCPRO HD Capture

CROUTON213
03-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi, I am aware the the VT4 system currently does not work with HD. Anyway, I come here for advice...

How would you transfer from a large DVCPRO cassette, thru FireWire, into computer? I have Premeire Pro and currently use it only to capture HDV from miniDV cassette. I quickly found a plug in/codec at Adobe for HDV in Premeire Pro, but when I search for DVCPRO HD, it only gives advice and says that Premeire Pro can work with the format, but I have not found a plug in/codec to download and install.

Any experienced advice on DVCPRO HD transfer/capture would be appreciated. I am also asking on the Adobe forum, but came here first because I am a VT4 user and feel confident in the help I receive here.

Thanks.

ted
03-12-2006, 11:19 PM
LAD, Thank you!
For what? For posting for me. :hey:
I'm hoping to get DVCPro/DVCPro-HD support in VT in a real bad way. The codec seems to be accepted by most other systems. It's also the codec that will allow so many of us to afford real, flexible, HD using the Panasonic HVX200 and the P2 technology.

ted
03-13-2006, 09:48 AM
LAD, get this, today I get to my studio and low and behold...my Panasonic HVX200 is there! Yaaaay!!!!

But the next thing I got really surprised me, but not shocked me. My NAB package came in over the weekend. Guess what was printed on my Swipe card.......
Yes, the Panasonic HVX200! Just as I predicted...that remarkable piece of technology is going to be the "Darling" of NAB. It has certainly allowed me to move to true HD without selling my house. But of course, you gotta plan on several thousand to set up the entire P2 package. But it is still a great solution. I certainly hope I can use the DVCPro/DVCPro-HD files on my VT.

KSTAR
03-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey Lad, awhile back I had a project that was shot on DVCPro 50 SD. I tried to get the footage captured to VT4 through the deck via firewire but I couldn't. I tried the Main concept codec but it didn't work. I could get the VT4 to control the deck via fire wire, but I could never get picture or sound. I ended up capturing analog and using the DV codec. Ironically the NT25 codec which has the same 4:2:2 as DVCpro came out 4 days later! but it was to late to recapture, the deck was gone and I wasn't going to recapture 14 hours of footage. So we stuck with DV which looked great by the way not much loss from the original DVCPro 50. It was SD though not HD

CROUTON213
04-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi, Live Action Digital is currently using Avid Xpress Pro HD Academic Version for the transfer of DVCPRO HD footage. We rented a Panasonic deck, the AJ-HD1200A, for a cool $600 per day (ouch). We even had to leave the comforts of Silicon Valley and travel to the south side of San Francisco to rent the deck.

Now the deck is hooked up via FireWire (IEEE 1394) and being controlled by Avid Xpress Pro HD. It was scary at first, because there was not a preset for DVCPRO HD, as there was for HDV, so I had to struggle, but by chance I selected 720p/60 and snap!! the video showed up. This was at about 3:00 am this morning. I am very excited to be able to get our footage into the PC. As for the Avid, yes I am sure it is great, but I do my cutting on the VT and I must say that the serious, professional broadcast feeling I get, and our clients observe, when using Newtek products makes me feel happy to have the VT and Lightwave system as our primary tools. We'll edit the HD footage soon enough...

But now I can dress in kaki slacks and say, "Why yes, we have Avid, just pay no attention to that Toaster behind the curtain!"
-QB White

joseburgos
04-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I had to download the Avid free version a while back as well to convert a video file that was given to me to edit but used the Avid codec.
After I converted the file and edited the project in VT, I played a little with the Avid Express program and have to say I hated how slow it was.

Anyway good to here you overcame your problem and Avid is OK as a file convertion tool :)

Take care