PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and 3D accelerator cards

lordarka
03-12-2006, 03:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently installed an ATI X800 video card in my computer (Dual G5 2.5GHz), and was expecting a substantial increase in real-time rendering preview. Such improvements have been modest at best. I was wondering if it is necessary to specify in preferences, or in some pref/config file, that the new hardware exists, and that Lightwave should utilize it? Is the recognition and adaptation to hardware managed by Lightwave through the OS, or do I have to point out to LW that the hardware is present?

Thanks!

Arka C.

Captain Obvious
03-12-2006, 04:01 AM
Lightwave's OpenGL just sucks. :( It doesn't use the video card much (at all?). I went from a Radeon 9600 to a 9800, and it didn't improve at all. Every other app I tried got a kick in the pants from it, but not Lightwave.

pixelinfected
03-12-2006, 05:39 AM
under mac actually Opengl are not optimized at top, anyway, nvidia give you better performance than ati under 3d world.
ati are better optimized for games, also if they produce high level cards.

BIGA
03-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Hi guys!
So is it better to go with NVIDIA rather then ATI...?
thanks!

Captain Obvious
03-28-2006, 12:20 PM
On a Mac, ATI is generally better. The Nvidia drivers for Mac are severely lacking, unfortunately. And no, ATI is not "optimized for games" and Nvidia is not "optimized for professional work."

pixelinfected
03-28-2006, 12:37 PM
in general,
ATI develop tecnologies for games, like normal map, relief map and more, Nvidia devepo tech like gelato for 3d render in real times by hardware...

what i want to tell is that ati and nvidia have different target, and is not a mistery that ati reduce it's professional offert against games offert...

BIGA
03-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks a lot for your advice!::thumbsup:
I hope I will make the right choice eventually!
:D

in general,
ATI develop tecnologies for games, like normal map, relief map and more, Nvidia devepo tech like gelato for 3d render in real times by hardware...

what i want to tell is that ati and nvidia have different target, and is not a mistery that ati reduce it's professional offert against games offert...

BIGA
03-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Thank you very much for replying to my question!
It just seems a bit strange that all the new G5s come only with NVIDIA cards. Well, I suppose I'll make the right choice eventually.!:D

3dworks
03-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Hi guys!
So is it better to go with NVIDIA rather then ATI...?
thanks!

especially for lightwave, i feel more confortable with my nvidia card (geforce 6600). i get repeatedly serious complete crashes (and lockups) of my G5 dual with the ATI radeon 9800 special mac edition card when using LW 8.5 together with fprime. at worley labs they know about it and they say that it's an issue with LW and ATI cards. so far my experience.

even if the ATI card is superior in performance, the speed hit using LW with the nvidia is minimal, because of the not brilliant opengl support on macs in general and in LW in special.

markus