PDA

View Full Version : "Fish eye" lens for LW camera?

Scolopendra
05-20-2003, 05:18 AM
Actually, my question is in the subject. Is in LW any way to simulate "fish eye" lens effect? If not, may be here some plug-in?
I need to have some sort of panoramic picture 180 degrees wide on horizontal and vertical axis.
Any suggestions?

Lightwolf
05-20-2003, 05:31 AM
Search for "Special Projection " on www.flay.com .
cheers,
Mike

composermanII
05-20-2003, 07:59 AM
The problem I found with special projection is that it is a pixel filter and ignores volumetrics in the scene. This plugin may or may not suit your needs. I have yet to find a true fisheye lens for the lightwave camera.

Troy McClellan

Lightwolf
05-20-2003, 08:08 AM
Composerman II:
Pixelfilters should not ignore volumetrics, at least not in LW 6.0 onwards. The raytrace calls they use take volumetrics into account.
The only thing that doesn't work are lens flares and all image filters / pixel filters.
Cheers,
Mike

Scolopendra
05-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Thank you guys, I need those panoramic shots for further use with iPIX. I need two shots each covering 180 degrees vertical and 180 degrees horizontal angles. That's how iPIX works.

Actually I don't need volumetrics in my scene but logicaly I can't see why it should not be rendered correct. Volumetrics is a part of calculated image, so Special Projection must process it as well as whole image. Another question does it look good after that.

Lightwolf
05-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Scolopendra,
here is the link: http://www.arrakis.es/~juanj/
Can you create IPix from a 360x180 image? Special Projection does that as well (which allows you to use some of the java panorama viewers out there).
If you need something extremely special , shoot my a PM, I have an in-house panorama renderer that I could adapt for you.
But try out Special Projection first, I think it does what you're looking for.
He mentions the unseen by camera trick, you can even make that a bit simpler.
Create a box, flip the polygons, parent it to your camera. Make the box unseen by rays as well as unseen by shadows. You should now render a black image (or an image the colour of the box). If you now apply the pixel filter, rendering will be faster.
No need to turn off unseen by camera for all objects...

Cheers,
Mike

Scolopendra
05-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks man. I'm playing with Special Projection right now and guess I'll manage to have what I need using it.
Thanks a lot for your help :)

Lightwolf
05-20-2003, 09:53 AM
You're welcome. :p
Can you post a link when you're done? I'm a nosy bastard ;)

Scolopendra
05-20-2003, 03:36 PM
Actually I don't think that it will be put on the web. It will be put on the presentation CD. But I will see what I can do :)