03-09-2006, 07:16 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=327194

Auger
03-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Holy S*** those guys are good!:beerchug:

gatz
03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Great stuff!

How do do you "model and render" in LW and "rig and animate" in Maya? What kind of pipeline do you use to pull this off?

rg

Intuition
03-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Heh, they all say "Nice Shader".

Unless it was done with 9 isn't the appropriate term "Surface"?

Ok, ok. I'm just making a crack at a term I hate.

I still prefer "surfacing" as the definitive way to describe the texture work.

Oh well, guess Lightwave is going to be calling nodal stuff in 9 "shaders" as well eh

Nice work regardless. Nice to see Lightwave showing it's no slouch.

adrian
03-10-2006, 01:40 AM
I would say that's world class work.

Makes me feel totally inadequate as a character modeller - b******s!!!!! :D

On the other hand, it makes you realise that LW is capable of stuff that is up there with the best CGI ever made.

DiedonD
03-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Unb....elie....vaaa.....bllleeee.................. ..............I dont believe that that is......a cg generated picture.........Im gezilian years of light speed away from that........Im stoned......overimpresive......outpowering.....Im shocked for good.....AMAZING

I never could add a single post there in CGworld. They holded my messages for too long. BUt I wish I could.....Dear mother of god....its probably the very edge of talent and work.

Nemoid
03-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Its killer! :agree:

MrWyatt
03-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Great stuff!

How do do you "model and render" in LW and "rig and animate" in Maya? What kind of pipeline do you use to pull this off?

rg

either with beaver project, pointoven or Maya2LW
it is pretty simple actually.

Captain Obvious
03-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Heh, they all say "Nice Shader".

Unless it was done with 9 isn't the appropriate term "Surface"?

Ok, ok. I'm just making a crack at a term I hate.

I still prefer "surfacing" as the definitive way to describe the texture work.

Oh well, guess Lightwave is going to be calling nodal stuff in 9 "shaders" as well eh

Nice work regardless. Nice to see Lightwave showing it's no slouch.
"Textures" are image maps and procedurals. "Shaders" describe the lighting model. "Surfaces" are both shaders and textures. At least that's how I feel the terminilogy should be. :)

Anyway, the surfacing on that model is downright brilliant.

dlwaters
03-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Crud .... I'm still at the level of trying to get a cube to look good in LW ... that character makes me want to toss my computer and get out my crayons again!

DL

Amurrell
04-01-2006, 08:05 PM
It's nice to see work like this done in Lightwave.

As a side note, I read somewhere that "Final Fantasy:TSW" was modeled and I believe textured in LW and animated with Maya as well.

metahumanity
04-02-2006, 03:57 AM
It's nice to see work like this done in Lightwave.

As a side note, I read somewhere that "Final Fantasy:TSW" was modeled and I believe textured in LW and animated with Maya as well.

I donīt think thatīs true. At least the characters are 100% Maya.

http://ballisticpublishing.com/articles/francisco_cortina/

oDDity
04-02-2006, 05:11 AM
It's great stuff, obviously, but I'm not sure why some of you are so surprised that this quailty can be achieved using LW. It doesn't say much for your confidence in the program.

SCS5
04-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Great Modeling & Surfacing!.............I still wish Newtek could get Layout 's Animation tools up to speed (Modeling & Animating the Changes in Layout, New Rigging, Scrap the current Bones & Completely re-think Bones & Rigging no Gimbel Lock, New Ray traced Lights with Soft Edges on Shadows, Real Spline Paths,........SPEEEEEED!!!), Etc. Once again "Modeled in Lightwave, Animated in Maya", Newtek, after years of seeing this, why don't you make BIG CHANGES to LAYOUT!!! Were gloating over SOME OpenGL support in 9.....Guess What the rest of the 3D Industry has had this for YEARS!!!..I'm sick of seeing this!!!!!!!!!!!:cursin:

stevecullum
04-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Great work!

Alot of studios use Lightwave for modeling and rendering and Maya for rigging and animating. But because Maya is more of a 'buzz' word in the industry, the studios like to mention they used it. In fact one of the studios I'm working for at the moment, thought it was a bit embarrasing to mention they rendered with LW for alot of their projects.

Thats just sad. We need to make alot more noise out there and quality artwork like this can only help:thumbsup:

toby
04-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Etc. Once again "Modeled in Lightwave, Animated in Maya", Newtek, after years of seeing this, why don't you make BIG CHANGES to LAYOUT!!! Were gloating over SOME OpenGL support in 9.....Guess What the rest of the 3D Industry has had this for YEARS!!!..I'm sick of seeing this!!!!!!!!!!!:cursin:
Don't you mean - "Alias, after years of seeing this, why can't you make a modeler as good and fast as LW, and a renderer as good, fast and easy, both at half the price?"
The days of one package dominating all aspects of 3D are pretty much over.