PDA

View Full Version : Problem 'Baking' Ambient Occlusion

keving007
03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi,

The time has come where I need to use the Surface Baker to bake my surface textures to UVs. I have already created the UV Maps and have assigned UVs for the surface in question. I have no problem when all I want is bake Color, Diffuse, or Illumination. As soon as I select 'Bake Shaders' from the Surface Baker properties, Lightwave just crashes. It crashes even if I dont have any other shader on that same surface. It's almost like Surface Baker might be trying to do a recursive bake of itself. :stumped:

Hopefully nobody is laughing too hard right now.

I am very familiar with creating UV textures. It's just that I have come to a section in my project, where it would be extremely helpful if I could get the SG_AmbOcc_Exp shader to bake to my UVs. This is probably something simple. I have seen many people talk about baking AmbOcc for dirt maps and things like that, so I know it can be done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
kev

keving007
03-13-2006, 07:13 AM
So has anyone atleast experienced the CRASH that happens when you assign the Surface Baker shader to a surface and set the option to 'Bake Shaders'? I can believe I'm the first to ever do this. Happens on 8.2 and 8.5. Maybe others but those are the only ones I have installed.

:confused:
kev

Captain Obvious
03-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Surface Baker just plain sucks. It's unfortunate, but true. It's slow as molasses, and unstable.

ingo
03-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Hi Kev, afaik you can't bake shaders like ambient occlusion with LW's baker. Try to disable the ambient occlusion shader and see if it still crashes. I think "bake shaders" is related only to procedural shaders.

Captain Obvious
03-13-2006, 09:16 AM
I've baked ambient occlusion shaders via the bake shader several times. It works, albeit very barely.

Gettarobox
03-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Kevin- have you tried making a fake ambient occlusion by doing a back drop only radiosity with a white background and then just baking the lighting in surface baker?

keving007
03-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Kevin- have you tried making a fake ambient occlusion by doing a back drop only radiosity with a white background and then just baking the lighting in surface baker?

I have not tried that yet. I will give it a whirl. Thanks for the suggestion.

Captain Obvious- What method did you use to actually get it to work? I know that people have baked the AmbOcc shader. I just can't figure out how they do it.

thanks,
kev

toby
03-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Maybe it has to do with the order in which the shaders appear in the list? Maybe the Amb-occ shader should be applied first?

cgbloke2004
03-14-2006, 02:51 AM
hmm,
ive just tried it with sg_ambocc but when i bake a surface, the image is black. no crashes though.

previously, i've always done it using the same method that Gettarobox mentioned.

the other thing, regarding about how others used it, is perhaps the sg_ambocc shader was applied and rendered separately, and then composited in post, for the dirt pass, rather than relying on it being something added in geometry.

Bytehawk
03-14-2006, 02:02 PM
I had to do this a lot a few months back.

Surface baker didn't help in any case. I had to resort to Microwave to bake amb-occ.

LW9 might be what you need for this...

cgbloke2004
03-14-2006, 05:18 PM
ah yes, microwave has been recommended to me a couple of times. i didnt get to check it out and forgot all about it..

keving007
03-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the response, but . . .

What is microwave? If I do a search on microwave and baking, I get a lot of baked potatoes. Is there a website for the product? Is it freeware (hopefully)?

thanks,
kev

keving007
03-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Thank you to everyone for your assistance. Looks like I may have to see about adding Microwave to my production pipeline. Hopefully LW9 will be able to do it without the crash I get. :D

thanks again,
kev

toby
03-16-2006, 10:34 PM
LW9 has a Surface Baker Camera option, which will allow you to bake without the plugin, and use multi-threading as well, and probably even render over a network! :thumbsup:

duke
03-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Microwave is ok.. but for some reason Evasion never release any updates. Back when I tried the demo, tangent based normal maps were nowhere near as good as what you can get out of ATI or nvidia's normal map generator, and if you had them based on guides the RGB channels were inverted which isn't so much of a problem. I'm also pretty sure they've dumped Lightwave in favour of Maya's larger userbase.

Unless you need it right now, wait for LW9's baker, and if you need tangent based normal maps use one of the excellent free options like ATI's.