PDA

View Full Version : Setting up LW scenes to sell on Turbosquid!

Josamoto
03-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi all!

I want to start selling my LW projects on Turbosquid, but find that my scenes always end up asking me for the location of texture files and object files in the particular scene.

I don't use the LW content directory, I have a "My Projects" folder in My Documents where I localise all the content I created, which is also more convenient for backup reasons.

How do I get my LW scenes and objects configured so that these files will open properly, on another person's computer, without bugging them for file location details?

Thanks for your interest!

Capt Lightwave
03-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Honestly.....you use the LW content directory!

And with a free and simple program like Allway Sync on top of that, backup couldn't be easier...

kruemel_1
03-09-2006, 01:19 PM
In Layout choos File->Content Manager and select Export. So you can choose a destinationdirectory where all the files will be copied to - with the proper directories.

lardbros
03-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Have a folder called for example:

TurboSquid

in this folder have separate sub folders:
Objects, Scenes, and another one called Images.

You can go even further like i do and have ones for Particle Dynamics, Rendered Images, or plain Dynamics etc.

Obviously, put your objects, scenes, and images in the respective folders.

Then when you open Layout, press 'o' to bring up the options, and change the content directory to 'TurboSquid' folder.

Then if it asks you where the images/objects etc are search for them, and then save. (not sure, but it shouldn't ask for them if you have it setup this way anyway). Then if you just send the Turbosquid folder with everything in it, it will load without asking for anything. (So long as the other person sets this folder as their content directory!

This is just how i work, some people have a 'Lightwave' folder and then in that have their 'Scenes', 'Objects' and 'Images' folders, and save ALL of their stuff in those respective ones. This saves having to change the content directory for every different project, but for me, i like to save multiple variations of objects and scenes and this way can get messy pretty quick.

Josamoto
03-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm looking at Allway Sync now!

I was just going to ask if it is safe to change my content folder to elsewhere on my harddrive. I don't like my stuff being amongst the Newtek content. I prefer keeping mine and theirs separate as well as keep every project in its own directory.

I think LW needs a new content management system.

lardbros
03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Content directories can be anywhere!!

I have never kept mine anywhere near the Lightwave directory... i just used that as an example. Mine is even on a different hard drive to LW, so no problem at all.

Josamoto
03-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Allway Sync is cool guys! Thanks again! Maybe one day when I'm big I'll write a plugin that implements proper content management and sell it for millions!

Hee hee!

mkiii
03-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I agree with lardy

Nameofyourprojectfolder/

Nameofyourprojectfolder/scenes
Nameofyourprojectfolder/objects
Nameofyourprojectfolder/images

with content folder pointing to Nameofyourprojectfolder

That is all you need, as long as all the files are in their folders. Put any ancillary files in the root or a new folder. keep these files to a bare minimum, and try not to use ANY plugins.

Check your final scene file in notepad before you zip it all up to make sure all file references are not explicit. If you see c:\nameofyourprojectfolder\images for example, it aint right. what you need is for all the references to be like this images\yourimage.tga or objects\yourobject.lwo & so on.

I keep a folder on my E: drive named Turbosquid Assets. In there are the individual Project folders, and a copy of the contents in zipped form.

Make sure your images come from one sourse folder, don't grab them from all over the place, or from the LW content folder.

The way the LW content folder is organised may save on disc space, but it is not a good way to do it for individual projects unless you want to spend the whole time using content manager.