PDA

View Full Version : Why! Why! oh the humanity!! damn the Radeon bug!

Oddgit
05-20-2003, 02:45 AM
this stupid Radeon bug has got to be fixed! i cant have modeler crash everytime i rotate an object! Did newtek not pay attention to that bug? it is a pretty big one seeing as how all of my computers have Radeons and it is a totall pain in the *** do downgrade to 10.2.4 but i think im gonna have to.
has anybody figured a way around this issue? other then downgradeing?
i have a Dual 450 with 1.38 gb ram and an ATi Radeon 8500

Ade
05-20-2003, 03:53 AM
Oddgit it really isnt a pain to downgrade, just choose archive and it installs and keeps all the applications the same, all it changes is the system and library folder. We're fortunate OSX is soo easy, compared to windows.

Untouched -
User/ Applications folders.

Touched -
System/library folders.
Lightwave eve3.framework extension

Method one:
One thing though is when u launch Lightwave it will say eve3.framework is mising, just do a search for it and it will find the previous one from the old "previous system" folder, copy and paste it somewhere accessable, login as root and save it into library/frameworks.

Method 2:
reinstall LW.

Beamtracer
05-20-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Oddgit
oh the humanity!!

I think that's what they said when the Hindenburg went down!

OSX 10.2.4 is the only good one to use with Lightwave. Any later and new bugs are introduced. Any earlier and Screamernet doesn't work.

If you're doing mission critical stuff it's always best not to upgrade anything in the middle of a job. Let the brave ones test the new OSs first, and read the responses here.

By the way, the "archive and install" method is a good way to downgrade.

claw
05-20-2003, 07:19 AM
We should not have to downgrade to 102.4!! If we do, we cant use apples newest applications like Shake 3 and FCP4 (when it arrives).

This Radeon bug must be solved, either by Apple or ATI. (dont think its NT's fault)

jcool
05-20-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Oddgit it really isnt a pain to downgrade

Maybe not, but that's not really a good answer from the parties involved. If there's a bug, it should be fixed, not avoided. (not to mention possible other compatibility issues caused by sitting on an old OS version) The responsible party for the bug should step forward and make it go away.

Ade
05-20-2003, 07:52 AM
Numerous posts about this bug, we are all pissed off not just you. Read my post that also gives u the email for the technical dept of ATI who is resposnsible and tell them to get off their asses, we did and so should you!

Direct your anger to here, ATI tech's. (http://apps.ati.com/cservice/webformcontact.asp)

Remember Newtek is too busy optimising LW8 for mac, and cant always be at the whim of apples updates every month.

Downgrade, throttle ATI, and you should be good.

gggraphx
05-20-2003, 10:04 AM
PowerBook G4, 1Ghz, 1024 MB RAM, 10.2.4...
Question:
Do I up to 7.5c, 10.2.6, both, or none.
Whatdoyathink?

tapsnap
05-20-2003, 12:59 PM
Just downgraded to OS10.2.4 from 10.2.6, still using Lightwave 7.5c. Everything is working fine now. The problem is with Apple not Newtek. Do not upgrade your OS beyond 10.2.4 or you will have problems. Lightwave 7.5c, so far, seems to work fine under OS10.2.4.

Beamtracer
05-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Many software companies certify their applications to run on a new OS.

Avid (makers of Softimage XSI etc), for example, takes months or even years sometimes before they certify that their applications run on a new OS (by that time it's not new).

I mean.... OS X 10.2.6 was only released days ago.

On the Windows side, Lightwave seems to run better on the old Windows2000 than it does on the newer WindowsXP. So, on Windows its better to run an OS that is years old.

Oddgit
05-20-2003, 03:53 PM
my friend uses Avid Xpress DV and is always bitching about avid's certification stuff. Alias|Wavefront dose the same thing for maya too. i pretty much figured LW runs better on Win2k then XP, 2k is pretty gool all around.
i just needed to vent, i did a clean innstall and even zeroed my HD and im nearly up and running again :) this time with 10.2.4

Ade
05-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Oddgit u didnt need to do all that..
Thats another 30 mins of work.
See the delema with windows 2k vs XP is atleast they are usuable.

10.2.6 is unusable!
This is why this problem is serious.

claw
05-21-2003, 04:37 AM
Anyone seen this Radeon bug in another OpenGL based app, like Maya, EIAS etc?

mlinde
05-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Oddgit u didnt need to do all that..
Thats another 30 mins of work.
See the delema with windows 2k vs XP is atleast they are usuable.

10.2.6 is unusable!
This is why this problem is serious.

I don't know that 10.2.6 is unusable -- I think 10.2.6 may be unusable with ATI video cards though. I use 10.2.6 on my iBook (it's my "early adopter" test machine) and except for LW, it seems to work very well. I think the bigger problem is multi-faceted:
1) For the OEM versions of the ATI cards, Apple writes the drivers, and ATI works with those as the basis for the retail versions.
2) 10.2.5 was pre-seeded to developers with notice to review OGL changes
3) NewTek did not either
(a) get and test 10.2.5 with the two manufacturers cards available on the Mac
-or-
(b) didn't raise enough stink to have the issue dealt with
-or-
(c) couldn't replicate the error on their small set of Macs
4) The OGL issue was not dealt with in the maintenance update 10.2.6 that corrected bugs with 10.2.5

FWIW, a similar issue was introduced with video cards and Maya in an earlier Mac OS X upgrade, that took one or two more patches to correct -- I think it was actually corrected in 10.2.4

Ade
05-21-2003, 06:53 AM
I meant unusable in lightwave.

mlinde
05-21-2003, 09:08 AM
If you have issues with OpenGL and it can be tied to Mac OS X, any version, you can report bugs to Apple at the following address

[email protected]

RobinWood
05-21-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm using 10.2.6 and LW 7.5c, and it's all working perfectly.

In fact, Layout used to crash all the time if I tried to render without saving the scene and any models I'd changed. It no longer seems to have that problem. So it's actually working better.

I don't have any idea what Graphics card I have, though. This machine is almost 4 years old, and if I ever knew, I've forgotten long since.

If I were you, I'd try installing the latest, and see if it works on your machine. If it doesn't, then downgrade. But if it does, you are ahead of the game.