PDA

View Full Version : Items Cannot Be Parented to Themselves

JoyofLJ
03-09-2006, 11:52 AM
I run a large lab with G5 Macs, all use 10.4.5 We use LW 8.5 All was going well this semester until the instructor taught the classes how to create parent and child bones. Forgive my terminology if it is not quite right.

All goes well during student user session. They create various bones and then save their work. In many, but not all cases, when they re-open their files, they get the following error message:

"Items cannot be parented to themselves"

When they click OK in the error window, the file opens but MOST of the bones they created are gone, all the hard work gone POOF!

Would anyone have any idea what may be going on here. We have used LW for a few years now and have never had any problems in our labs.

toby
03-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Bones can be quirky. Maybe check to see that there are no names that could be confused when the scene loads, like a bone with the same name as an object or null.

When I had to do some surgery on a rig that already had animation, I always saved a new version when experimenting with any bone changes, then cleared the scene and reloaded it, to see if it stuck. It appears that you can change the rig in ways that LW can't re-create when it loads. It might be a good idea to reload the scene if you're unsure of anything you've just done.

JoyofLJ
03-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Thank you, Toby. I have passed along your suggestions to the professor and also cut and pasted your reply to the class bulletin board.

Yesterday there were no problems, so, technique used just may be the problem.