PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Colossus in 3D World

WilliamVaughan
03-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Shadow of the Colossus in 3D World

3D World Issue #76
Page 32-35

This article talks about how ground breaking and industry inspiring this game is....no mention of LightWave in the article..... but...... it is created using LW.

http://www.dyingduck.com/sotc/making_of_sotc.html

----

Also- Congrats to Rene Falk Thomasius for the LW image in the gallery!

Dodgy
03-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I know, annoying as all ****....

beverins
03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I feel stupid for asking, but how is the onionskin effect here done? I honestly cannot find mention of this in the manual..

http://www.dyingduck.com/sotc/3dwa72.jpg

cresshead
03-09-2006, 11:21 AM
it either a custom lscript or a commercial plugin of some sort.i remember somenone asking about onion skinning ges back and there is that cpability but it's not native to lihtwave 7.5 or 8.0.....of course not sure if lw9.0 will/has his already..very usefull...if it does!

Gettarobox
03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Wooot!!! In Yo Face Maya Users!!!

kopperdrake
03-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Dunno if it's my imagination but for the last few issues of 3D World there's barely a mention of Lightwave. There's been the NewTek's publicity article, but it feels as though Lightwave's being shunned. I'm seriously rethinking my subscription, but are there any other 3D mags out there that are worth getting?

Lamont
03-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I feel stupid for asking, but how is the onionskin effect here done? I honestly cannot find mention of this in the manual.. Actually, it's a plugin made by a Japanese developer/artist. BUT the only problem is that the guys website isn't SFW by far (he does adult anime)... I'll go home and check my bookmarks.

Lamont
03-09-2006, 01:23 PM
And then I remember this one:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/IKBGhost.mov

adrian
03-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Dunno if it's my imagination but for the last few issues of 3D World there's barely a mention of Lightwave. There's been the NewTek's publicity article, but it feels as though Lightwave's being shunned. I'm seriously rethinking my subscription, but are there any other 3D mags out there that are worth getting?

I know what you mean... I haven't bought this mag in months - I used to love it but the multitude of "how to do this or that in Maya or Max" just doesn't appeal... it seems even Poser gets more coverage than LW.

That said, I was going to buy last month's edition because it covered human anatomy modelling - but my local WHSmith's didn't have it :devil: - was this any good?

As for other mags, there is one run by Dan Ablan isn't there?

SaturnX
03-10-2006, 02:09 AM
I know what you mean... I haven't bought this mag in months - I used to love it but the multitude of "how to do this or that in Maya or Max" just doesn't appeal... it seems even Poser gets more coverage than LW.

That said, I was going to buy last month's edition because it covered human anatomy modelling - but my local WHSmith's didn't have it :devil: - was this any good?

issue 75 of 3dworld 'body work' .. was decent.. yeah, especially to new comers, trying to learn more on the human form, and anatomy etc..
The mag does have its usual coverage on other apps, but it does have its own fair share of lw content to. Sometimes more so than normal, or.. frustratingly... vice versa. This can be in the form of lw work submitted into the gallery sections, or tutorials etc.. and sometimes 10/10 reviews ? ;)
Sometimes though the tuts based on other software, can still apply to lw. they might give you different insights on how to do some stuff..

i especially like the projects round up pages.. (basically alittle coverage on the latest tv ads and vfx having been finished in the last month or so ) ..

A thing that always bothered me though, is the lack of lightwave advertising in the mag. even cinema4d has a regular full colour advertisment on its software..

don't forget... if you have any lw work... send it into 3dworld.. heh
(yeah i know, im one to talk.. )

Dodgy
03-10-2006, 03:29 AM
Yeah, we really need to get more content on their gallery pages. It seems to be all max and c4d in those sections.

kopperdrake
03-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Just as soon as I crate an image I'm happy enough with! Most of my stuff is so corporate I just couldn't bring myself to put it there!

There's a project for us all to enhance Lightwave's presence! A contest - the first to get a submission into their pages wins a free pint ;)

Ztreem
03-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Maybe this should be the next Spinquad challange, to send as much Lightwave work as possible to the 3dworld gallery. Maybe we can make a difference. :)

kopperdrake
03-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Oh it must make a difference when people see images and what they're created in :) Sounds like a plan! I have a few days spare at the moment so I may have a go at an image I've wanted to do for a while :D

Lamont
03-10-2006, 09:50 AM
A contest - the first to get a submission into their pages wins a free pint ;)And airfare to the UK?

kopperdrake
03-10-2006, 09:57 AM
LOL - I was thinking we could post it out ;)

Lamont
03-10-2006, 10:47 AM
What's over there that's good and can be sent by post?

Man, if I ever went to the UK, I think I'd drink till I went blind.

Ztreem
03-10-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't think you should drink methanol, just beer. :)