PDA

View Full Version : GLSL HW Shading Problem

manproof
03-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I am using the below setup:

PC, Windows XP (service pack 2), NVIDIA Quadro FX 4400, 2.8 GHz, 3 GB of RAM, Lightwave 8.5

In Layout I have one cube with a procedural texture applied to it. When attempting to click on the GLSL HW shading option, Layout freezes and must be forced to quit. This happens with multiple scenes of varying complexity.

I have searched the forum a bit, but cannot find anything that applies to my situation. (Apologies if there is something and I am missing it.)

Any help is appreciated.

Weetos
03-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I had similar issues with a procedural texture applied on the color channel of an object, and I solved the problem by using another procedural that almost looked the same, but I can't remember which one - I think it was turbulence, not sure though

Does it crash with any procedural ?

Dodgy
03-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Mine doesn't crash, but it does take a second or two to update the opengl view. It's much faster with image maps..

manproof
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
I reloaded the cube with a different procedural applied from Modeler, and it showed up in the Layout viewport without a problem. Some procedurals show up, some don't. This has been reported by others, and is a known issue.

It seems that the application is not freezing, but is taking a very long time to update the viewports, as Dodgy suggested. I load a scene and wait minutes for my viewports to update. Are there settings anywhere that can be optimized to speed up this process? Or, should the GLSL HW Shader option be used sparingly?

manproof
03-10-2006, 01:43 PM
I forgot to mention that my NVIDIA settings have been adjusted as follows.

Custom OpenGL applications setting: Lightwave

If anyone knows of settings within Lightwave or my video card that can be adjusted to best leverage the GLSL HW Shader, I'm happy to hear form you.

Thanks.